will 1/8 twist stabilize 247 bison bullits

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: will 1/8 twist stabilize 247 bison bullits

Post by talonxracer »

I had decent success with my Bergara barrel and 230gr cast pushed by 7.2g of H110, they were powdercoated.

My Bergara barrel has gotten far more accurate as it has broken in and after I started to ignore the COL's specified in the reloading manuals, seat your bullets to .050" off the lands to start. I had my barrel shortened to 13.5" and it is a seriously accurate stubby truck gun!!!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

imyomama wrote:well , my lead bullets showed up last night and they seem to weigh around 138 to 139 grains on average ...
these came from missouri bullet co .. they were ordered months ago ... i found some lil gun , and tite group powder ...

if anyone feels like offering a recipe for lead bullet subsonic .. (16" barrel TC) feel free to respond to this post ..

i'm going to try to get some rl7 as well to test ...

as it stands they extended the backorder on the bergaga barrel,so i don't have a barrel to shoot yet ..
this gives me more time to find the powder....

thanks !
You mean 238-239?
TC is a bolt gun, right?
Lil'Gun thread has loads - go look at page 16.

IIRC, for an AR SBR it was a COAL of 2.130 and 8.2 g of Lil'Gun. Naturally, if you have a 16" barrel . . . it will be supersonic, but it's a starting point. probably wind up around 7.8g I'd guess.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

yep , sorry ! fixed it ... 238 to 239 !
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Has anyone tried Trail Boss with these in a Encore or bold gun? I use TB with 55gn bullets for 223 single shot, super quiet.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

farm use wrote:Has anyone tried Trail Boss with these in a Encore or bold gun? I use TB with 55gn bullets for 223 single shot, super quiet.
I've used trailboss on 44 mag suppressed subsonic on an encore and white it was quiet , accuracy was terrible ... i have not tried in for the blackout but I imagine it would yield similar results ...

on another note , I just found 3 pounds of 1680 I had stashed ... so I might have to try a batch of those as well ... if someone has a recipe for lead out of a 16" BG or single shot, please share ...

thanks !
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I have shot thousands of 247's out of my 8 twist guns without issue. As a matter of fact I think they are a bit too stable. I did a water jug test a week or two ago and they wenth through 5 jugs without tumbling. I want my bullets to tumble because a 1.3" long bullet sideways is going to create a wider wound channel than any expanding bullet.

I sent quite a few of the MBC 245's to a friend who has a 10 twist 300BO barrel. He is shooting them well under 1,000 fps and he said they are stable to 100 yards, the farthest he has shot them.

The next 300BO barrel I make will be from a 10 twist blank. I have had several already and they seem more accurate with the lightweight bullets and are less stable with the heavy bullets which makes them tumble pretty quickly once inside a target.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!