plated 150gr projectile question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

nickthefish_del

plated 150gr projectile question

Post by nickthefish_del »

Newbie here! :shock:
Here's what i got in the mail today.

https://www.thebulletworks.net/ProductD ... %20PL%20FP

It states NOT SUPERSONIC but they do not have reloading data. I called and the girl told me that because of liability issues they do not have reloading data. Does anyone recommend a particular recipe. i Know i should keep it under 1900fps as a rule of thumb but most reloading data doesn't show plated info for blackouts yet. thanks!
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so."..Reagan

IMAGINE! A world WITHOUT LIBERALS! :lol:
ohl_san
Silent But Deadly

Re: plated 150gr projectile question

Post by ohl_san »

Can you post a picture of them? The website didn't have a good image.
nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache. Apaches have machine guns & missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry an absolute death machine
TED
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

nickthefish wrote:Newbie here! :shock:
Here's what i got in the mail today.

https://www.thebulletworks.net/ProductD ... %20PL%20FP

It states NOT SUPERSONIC but they do not have reloading data. I called and the girl told me that because of liability issues they do not have reloading data. Does anyone recommend a particular recipe. i Know i should keep it under 1900fps as a rule of thumb but most reloading data doesn't show plated info for blackouts yet. thanks!
If they are not for supersonic you need to keep them around 1000 fps. They are lead plated thats why they say not for supersonic. If you push them to fast you can have problems with the plating stripping off.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Not in stock, or I would have ordered them to try. I was working with Berry's 150gr flatnose plated and getting nice accuracy in my Remington 700 300 BLK, but alas I ran out of them, and Berry's is not taking orders at this time.
nickthefish_del

ohl_san wrote:Can you post a picture of them? The website didn't have a good image.
i will post a better pic later as i have to go to a client's office for a few hours. thanks for the response!
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so."..Reagan

nickthefish_del

Whole Bunches wrote:Not in stock, or I would have ordered them to try. I was working with Berry's 150gr flatnose plated and getting nice accuracy in my Remington 700 300 BLK, but alas I ran out of them, and Berry's is not taking orders at this time.
that's why i bought these. they should be the same load as berry's no??? i will load subsonic for sure.

nickthefish_del

here's what i got from HODGDON's site. THe IMR TRAIL BOSS has a slow FPS but no load data for 150gr projectiles???

110 GR. HDY V-MAX IMR Trail Boss .308" 2.040" 4.5 880 21,900 CUP 6.3 1046 20,200 CUP
115 GR. BER TGT FB IMR Trail Boss .308" 2.050" 4.5 894 23,200 CUP 6.3 1044 19,900 CUP

A Pause for the COZ

Post by A Pause for the COZ »

You should be able to load them faster than 1000 fps. Cast you can go 1700+ and not get leading.
I would try about 16gr of RL-7. I use that load for Lee 155 gr cast and get around 1450fps with great accuracy.
I bet that would be the sweet spot for that bullet too. Wish I had some.
dbltapXD
Silent Operator

Post by dbltapXD »

I load primarily plated bullets (from different manufacturers). I've heard the "magic number" of 1200 FPS for not peeling the plating off. I'd be cautious at anything over that, or you may have problems.

Just my .02-worth...
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

dbltapXD wrote:I load primarily plated bullets (from different manufacturers). I've heard the "magic number" of 1200 FPS for not peeling the plating off. I'd be cautious at anything over that, or you may have problems.

Just my .02-worth...
I agree!