Brass- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

molar

Re: Brass- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Post by molar »

carpsniperg2 wrote:I bought some brass and it was supposed to be all Remington but had some GFL mixed in. Never seen it before so I pulled them and was just going to ask about converting it so thanks pascalp for saving me the time. In the trash they go. I figured with a abbreviation like "Good F Luck" they would not be good anyways lol.
GFL is Fiocchi brass. I prefer it to several US commercial brass cases. I've converted alot and never had any problems
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

farm use wrote:What about TZZ head stamp?
TZZ is good to go...one of my favorite headstamps for converted brass. (Israeli)
danny951

Post by danny951 »

add GECO to the "bad" list.

Also, I've found trimming longer helps some of the brass since the case walls get thinner as you move closer to the original shoulder of the case. Hornady, PSD, WCC and others benefit from trimming to about 1.365 or so. The brass I trimmed to 1.350-1.355 is hit or miss on some of the head stamps.
Kokodog
Silent Operator

Post by Kokodog »

I just sorted thru 2000 pcs of bent neck brass and this thread is most helpful

the lions share of it is Federal mixed headstamps, and then a near 3 way tie with PMC, G.F.L. & PSD and some LC, WCC, Winchester, RP and a bunch of odds and ends

Thanks !
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

danny951 wrote: Also, I've found trimming longer helps some of the brass since the case walls get thinner as you move closer to the original shoulder of the case. Hornady, PSD, WCC and others benefit from trimming to about 1.365 or so. The brass I trimmed to 1.350-1.355 is hit or miss on some of the head stamps.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that if a short neck is too thick, leaving it longer won't do anything for the thick part. You're still seating a bullet past that extra 0.015 "thin" part of the neck, right?
tlee_20
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tlee_20 »

Saving a spot for pics and opinion. Tomorrow... ;)
The Brass General
www.brassgeneral.com
www.facebook.com/thebrassgeneral
Kokodog
Silent Operator

Post by Kokodog »

AR-300 wrote: Most of the cheap imported 223 or 556, headstamped:

ATI , PMP, CJ, NPA, PPU, MKE, S&B, FNB, FNM, S&B, IMG, RORG, RWS, TAA, CJ, Amerc, PRVI, HRTRS, KFA, etc

Ugly
damn, this latest batch of once fired brass that I just got from Weidners has a fair amount of TAA headstamp

the first of two bags of 1K has 6.5% TAA or 65 pcs, the website claims 95 to 99 percent LC,
still working thru the second bag of 1K and already the count of TAA is getting high

AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

find someone who loads 223 for the cases that don't make good 300
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
jparks54

Post by jparks54 »

has any one tried 223 brass stamped A USA its armscore ammo from what i have gathered
BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BallisticTools »

molar wrote:GFL is Fiocchi brass. I prefer it to several US commercial brass cases. I've converted alot and never had any problems
I agree there, at least the 223 GFL/Fiocchi I've had has been very consistent and converts fine. I wasn't expecting it because of the bad stuff I read, but it ran very smoothly with no problems at all, had very consistent web thickness, and very little weight variation.

Of course it's all been sitting on my web store unsold for quite a while now, because people think it's bad. I should just take it down and keep it for myself.
ballistictools.com/store
Blackout brass, gauges, and more