Looking for a soft point bullet to use for subsonic loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

coolcat

Looking for a soft point bullet to use for subsonic loads

Post by coolcat »

So, I'm looking to find an inexpensive bullet with a soft point that is heavy enough for a subsonic load. I need soft points because that is the only type of bullet that the local indoor range allows on their rifle lanes and I want to be able to drop in over there and practice because it would be way more convenient then driving out to the boonies.

Does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive soft point heavy enough for subsonic loads? Any tips would be great. I haven't loaded any 300BLK yet but I'm slowly assembling what I need. So far I've got brass, primers and IMR4227. Just need to pick the right bullet and I'll be ready to start brewing.

TIA
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for a soft point bullet to use for subsonic load

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

What kind of upper? As in gas system length and barrel length.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
coolcat

Post by coolcat »

Houston Armory H300IC integrally suppressed upper with an 8" barrel and 4" suppressor built in to the hand guard rail system. I believe it's got a pistol length gas system due to the short barrel. Sorry to sound like such a noob but I don't have it in hand as I'm waiting on the tax stamps and HA doesn't list what length gas system it has in the specs.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I would try some of the Sierra 200 grain soft points. I shoot 180's in my gun at subsonic levels but mine also has a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Even at subsonic speeds they require soft points on the rifle lanes? Thats dumb, but their range, their rules.

My local indoor I shoot at wont allow over .223(although their backstop is rated to stop a 50bmg from 25 yards) for normal users, but I asked about 300blk subs and the owner didnt care, but he also understands ballistics.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
coolcat

Post by coolcat »

Good point. When I shoot my 5.56 they require SPs. I'm going to talk to the owner and see if he's ok with subs because that would make this a lot easier (and cheaper).