9th Edition Hornady Manual

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dbltapXD
Silent Operator

9th Edition Hornady Manual

Post by dbltapXD »

I received my 9th Edition Hornady Reloading Manual today, and I am very pleased to see a nice section on the 300 Whisper/AAC Blackout in the book. It has load data for a wide range of bullet weights (110-225 gr) and numerous powders for each bullet weight. It is specifically noted in the intro page that the "data was shot for velocity and functionality with an AR-15". It also mentions that A1680 worked best for subsonics from a functional perspective on the AR platform (which I think is the general concensus anyway).

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for a manual with load data for the 300 BLK.
Chris6424
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9th Edition Hornady Manual

Post by Chris6424 »

Yes, I have the same manual. Hornady's load data seems to be much more conservative than what is published on the Hodgdon/winchester web site.
dbltapXD
Silent Operator

Post by dbltapXD »

The only other printed manual I have is Hornady's 6th Edition. I got it when I first started reloading for my handguns a few years ago, and I found that they were very conservative on most of the loads that I referenced. For my handguns, I load exclusively with VV powders, and my actual load data exceeds even the maximum load data from the Hornady manual in many cases....and that's on loads that are for use in IDPA with a low power factor.

At least the new manual does list some VV powders for the 300 BLK, which is what I really was looking for. Even if they are a little conservative, at least it's a starting point.
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Post by CoheedKillgannon »

Hi. I'm thinking of reloading for the first time. Since I am a complete novice would you recommend this book? :)
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Yes, Hornady makes a great manual. Another publication worth purchasing is "The ABC's of Reloading". Not sure of its still in print, however, it's a great resource as well.
dbltapXD
Silent Operator

Post by dbltapXD »

CoheedKillgannon wrote:Hi. I'm thinking of reloading for the first time. Since I am a complete novice would you recommend this book? :)
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It served me well. Of course, others are good too, I'm sure.
kimber45

Post by kimber45 »

Any body have any pirated load data from the Hornady 9th?