Dillon neck flaring powder funnel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

yondering
Silent But Deadly

Dillon neck flaring powder funnel

Post by yondering »

Thought I'd throw this out there for those who are loading 300 Blackout on a Dillon 550 with a .223 conversion kit - The 30 carbine powder funnel is an inside the neck type, unlike the other rifle funnels, so it works to flare the case neck. It also is the right length for the 300BLK, so this funnel is all you need to add to your .223 conversion kit for loading cast bullets, without a separate flaring operation.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dillon neck flaring powder funnel

Post by darr3239 »

Dillon says to use the 7.62x39 funnel, but maybe cast bullets require something different?
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Yes, it's only important for cast bullets.

I think (but could be wrong) the 7.62x39 funnel is an outside the neck type, like most of their other rifle caliber funnels. These won't flare the case mouth, so in a 550 press, that means you have to use an extra step besides the 4 die stations, which sort of defeats the purpose of the progressive press.

The .30 carbine funnel does flare the case mouth, like most of their pistol caliber funnels, so it eliminates that extra step.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

Yep. I just looked at the AK powder funnel, which I haven't used yet, and there doesn't seem to be anything that would flare the neck, or do anything to the neck at all. As a matter of fact it looks straight walled, with a ridge that just contacts the case mouth, so the powder will go straight in.

Another funnel is used for 308, the 30-06, and the .45 ACP, along with a couple other calibers, and it flares the neck of all those cases.

Looks like 30 Carbine is the way to go for 300 BLK cast loads.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
kimber45

Post by kimber45 »

yondering wrote:Thought I'd throw this out there for those who are loading 300 Blackout on a Dillon 550 with a .223 conversion kit - The 30 carbine powder funnel is an inside the neck type, unlike the other rifle funnels, so it works to flare the case neck. It also is the right length for the 300BLK, so this funnel is all you need to add to your .223 conversion kit for loading cast bullets, without a separate flaring operation.
I bought the conversion kit for my D550 and it does not bell the case. Bullets take some care to set atop the case if they are flat based but boat tails load fast.
Belling works the brass too much on these.
kimber45

Post by kimber45 »

darr3239 wrote:Dillon says to use the 7.62x39 funnel, but maybe cast bullets require something different?
The Dillon powder funnel that comes with the conversion kit is marked "AK"
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

kimber45 wrote:
yondering wrote:Thought I'd throw this out there for those who are loading 300 Blackout on a Dillon 550 with a .223 conversion kit - The 30 carbine powder funnel is an inside the neck type, unlike the other rifle funnels, so it works to flare the case neck. It also is the right length for the 300BLK, so this funnel is all you need to add to your .223 conversion kit for loading cast bullets, without a separate flaring operation.
I bought the conversion kit for my D550 and it does not bell the case. Bullets take some care to set atop the case if they are flat based but boat tails load fast.
Belling works the brass too much on these.
That's what I suspected. Bummer you had to buy the conversion kit to find that out.

The .30 carbine funnel works perfectly, I'm not sure why Dillon wouldn't use that one in their conversion kit. And of course, if you already have a .223 kit, all you need is that funnel (and the dies of course), to be set up for the Blackout.
Walter300
Silent Operator

Post by Walter300 »

I load on a 650, and haven't started loading 300 Blackout yet, although my dies are on order and will be shipped from Graf's soon. I never use the Dillon powder measure for rifle loading, anyhow. I'm using a Hornady powder measure with the case-activated kit. I also have the option, should I find that case flaring is necessary, to use a universal case flaring powder funnel that I bought from a guy whose name I forgot.

I've loaded eleventy-zillion .223s, so I guess I'll figure 300 Blackout out (sounds funny!) pretty quickly. ;)
Screaminduck

Post by Screaminduck »

I purchased the 300AAC blackout conversion kit for my RL550 and found that it was peeling copper ever so slightly off the boattails. Ive poked through this thread and confirmed that the kit came with the AK powder funnel, which doesnt flare and might explain the peeling. Im new'ish to rifle reloads so i could be completely misinformed, which is why Im asking if I am missing something in the mechanics of reloading that a 300blkout kit would need a different powder funnel than what ships with it? Why wouldn't i want to flare the brass as a norm?

Poking on Dillion Site:
Sure enough, when you look up the Kit for the .30 M1 Carbine youll see the following powder funnel listed "#C Powder Funnel - # 13564". Look up that powder funnel and the description, below, clearly states its for flaring 300 Blackout. Seems a bit of an obscure way to get to this.

Powder Funnels
Options:

Type: "C" 30 carbine, flaring 300 Blackout - $18.99

Many thanks in advance,

Screaminduck.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

As mentioned in that thread, the only time most reloaders would flare rifle brass is for cast bullets. Typically chamfer/deburr will allow copper bullets to seat without issue.

Now, if you are using a Mr. Bullet feeder on a progressive press, this may not be the case, but you should follow the instructions in your Mr Bullet kit.

Flaring the neck will shorten the life of the brass, but if you are producing thousands of rounds each month, you may not care about the longevity of the brass.