queston on redding 2 die set

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

banded

queston on redding 2 die set

Post by banded »

I am new to the 300 blackout game. I ordered a set of redding 2 die set for 300blackout. Will i need a crimping die or will the seating die that does crimp also be enough???

Thanks,
3006mv
Silent Operator

Re: queston on redding 2 die set

Post by 3006mv »

should make a good roll crimp, mine does. but i also bought a lee factory crimp die for this caliber when it became available. i made one from a .30 carbine w/ a welded on washer but it made too wide o a band crimp on the mouth, the lee fcd is good for jacketed bullets w/ a cannelure or w/o. I do not use it on lead boolits b/c i think it is one of the things that caused leading in my bbl.
banded

Post by banded »

I might as well order the lee crimping die.. just to be safe.
KingIX
Silent But Deadly

Post by KingIX »

I have a redding set... have yet to use it still waiting on brass

But am ordering a crimp die just incase... 13$ seems like money well
spent just incase

Also i like to crimp all my auto rifle rounds.. i dont find it as needed with
a bolt gun or single shot... anyone else feel the same on this?
longranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by longranger »

I have been using the Forster Ultra Seater dies and I must say for the money I would rather have a set of Redding dies,or RCBS Match. No problems with the F/L sizing die. The Ultra Seater is a bit of a pain with small cartridges you have to nearly run all of the seating adjustment out of the die to seat bullets even long bullet when the die is adjusted per instructions.If their is a crimp feature built into the die I have not found it and no instructions on adjusting crimp if there is one.
I have a set of the RCBS Match .308 Win. and a Vickerman 40-70 Sharps Straight in-line seater die, it has a window to drop the bullet in and seat,same quality as Forster. The in-line seaters are excellent for short cartridges and I look for this feature when ever available.I might have to call Vickerman a call and see if he will make one for the 300 BLK.
Went and browsed http://www.gmw/vickerman.com. If you are not familiar with their seating dies,very easy and in-expensive to change calibers/cartridges in the same die body. One body all of you cartridges, or nearly all in one die,very well made. Much better arrangement than the Forster.
He does not list specifically a 300 BLK but does have 30 Carbine which I think will work fine, I am going to call him this am and ask about suitability.
Might be easier to find just a F/L sizing die and go this route for a seating die,especially if you are new to reloading and have not invested in 35 different full die sets, 40 years of reloading you can still learn a few things.
I do not crimp my hand loads in either .223 or 300 BLK as I never load more than 5 in a short magazine at the range.I have no measurable bullet set back or creep with 5 rounds.I use crimped ammo for loading into 20-30 rd. mags.I feel a crimp adds an additional burden that the bullet has to overcome to be as accurate as possible.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

I have found putting ANY amount of crimp on my 300 with the Redding dies ends up with FTF
I got the case gauge on here and the only way to get my rounds to fit
Is to back off the Redding to now crimp and then just touch it with the Lee FCD
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I use the Lee FC with my redding dies and no problems.I adjust it to crimp just a little,around 1 thou.I reduce the expander to .306,I've seen some dies with .308 diameter expanders and that doesn't give much neck tension.I might get the carbide button someday.I read it measures .306.If I was to buy another die now for accuracy I'd get a Redding taper crimp die.That comes with their match grade die set.
I heard from them that it works.I think it would if the trim length is consistant.