Heaviest Sub

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Heaviest Sub

Post by Ariac »

Hey guys, I have my liberty mystic on the way and want to develope the best sub load I can. I am planning to cast my own and know that many other peope here do already. I was wondering if anybody has developed a mold or design that I could duplicate via mountain molds or accurate molds. I figure you guys may want the specifics of my setup.

Noveske 8" barrel.
I intend to powder coat the bullets. (no lube groove needed?)
Trying to go as heavy as possible.
Possible powder recommendations from those who have done this already.

thanks everybody.
Zen Archery
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Heaviest Sub

Post by Zen Archery »

Just curious what end goal is...
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ariac »

Just looking to put the most energy on target possible (I like numbers), while still being quiet. :D I know alot of people use the NOE 247 mold, but I was just wondering if with a little custom work we could do better. I would probably use them mostly on paper and to take out local pests and possible hunt.. racoons, coyote etc.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81544

My bullet is 31-240E in Accurate's catalog.

It is accurate and allows the use of a unmodified magazine without exposing your lube grooves.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

My noe 247 boolits sized .309 and seated to crimp groove run fine in my DCA upper with RE-7.I use a cheap plastic thermold 20 rounder with the ribs filed down.One inch groups at 50 with the mystic.Very quiet.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

45r wrote:My noe 247 boolits sized .309 and seated to crimp groove run fine in my DCA upper with RE-7.I use a cheap plastic thermold 20 rounder with the ribs filed down.One inch groups at 50 with the mystic.Very quiet.
That is great. Not all guns are reliable when the bullets are seated at ~2.24. At least not without modifying the magazines. Mine allow the bullet to be seated to a 2.11" OAL or 2.26". And even at its shortest it does not expose a lube groove to the powder. Not that big of a deal except if you have loaded rounds sitting in the summer heat.

Have you weighed the bullets? All of the "247" grain bullets have actually weighed less. Most weigh 238-240, especially if using wheel weights. My bullet design comes in at 245 with wheel weight.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ariac »

So it seems that the best we can do is around 240. I guess that will have to do then.

Thanks,
Ariac
SkunkWerX

Post by SkunkWerX »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
45r wrote:My noe 247 boolits sized .309 and seated to crimp groove run fine in my DCA upper with RE-7.I use a cheap plastic thermold 20 rounder with the ribs filed down.One inch groups at 50 with the mystic.Very quiet.
That is great. Not all guns are reliable when the bullets are seated at ~2.24. At least not without modifying the magazines. Mine allow the bullet to be seated to a 2.11" OAL or 2.26". And even at its shortest it does not expose a lube groove to the powder. Not that big of a deal except if you have loaded rounds sitting in the summer heat.

Have you weighed the bullets? All of the "247" grain bullets have actually weighed less. Most weigh 238-240, especially if using wheel weights. My bullet design comes in at 245 with wheel weight.

Dolomite
How much variance in your load data when compared to running something like a 220smk?
I'm using 10.4gr. of A1680 in my subsonics, through a 9" upper, stays in low 1000fps, still cycles w/BHO.

I also have some 208Amax's, so I'm looking at what different loads I could potentially end up with in a 208, 220, and 240-ish projectile in BLK.
USing 1680, and keeping them in subsonic range. (Trying not to broach the transonic threshold for stability sake).

Note: these are for non-hunting applications. Paper, cans, steel.

Thoughts appreciated.
AAC 9" upper
Remington 700 SPS
SDN6
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

My bullet design (31-240-E) is matching 220 SMK load data when using wheel weights and sized at .309".

I use Lil'Gun for all my loads with the 300. I have tried all kinds of other powders and for me the Lil'Gun is the most consistent with cast bullets in my rifle.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
knoxville
Silent Operator

Post by knoxville »

I load 208 amax subsonic for whitetail. The ones where I am hunting are the small side, but I have had great success. They begin to tumble on impact and casuse enough damage. I have even got complete pass through at 100 yds with a broad side vital shot. The 240's should give you pleanty of energy for what you are looking to accommplish.