Need a recommendation for Supersonic Load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Condition1

Need a recommendation for Supersonic Load

Post by Condition1 »

I do not have a can yet, and am just getting into reloading, so i am looking for a good supersonic recipe for the 300 AAC Blackout.

I know most people are running the H110 Powder or Lilgun, etc.... i want to know something i can use for SD and one for shooting at the range.

Eventually i will develop a subsonic load for when i get a can.

Please list everything you are using in your loads, i greatly appreciate it.
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need a recommendation for Supersonic Load

Post by caliplt »

Have you checked the load catalog index stickied at the top of the forum?
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

Nosler 125 for hunting i use 17.8 grains of h110, for blasting i use hornady amax 155 its the cheapest i can find locally i use 17 grains of h110 its a stout load so be careful
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Condition1

Post by Condition1 »

caliplt wrote:Have you checked the load catalog index stickied at the top of the forum?
yes, sir. not much in there for supersonic loads.

Sdustin wrote:Nosler 125 for hunting i use 17.8 grains of h110, for blasting i use hornady amax 155 its the cheapest i can find locally i use 17 grains of h110 its a stout load so be careful

some say use h110, some say lil' gun...... a load i saw that looked interesting was the following:

Powder Hogdon H110
Primer CCI #400
Bullet Type Hornady FMJ BT
Bullet Wt 150 gr
Powder Wt 16.5 gr
COL 2.260 in
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

I have had great luck with H110 (19.8-20.0g), Federal primers, and 110 grain VMAX. Accurate and functions without a hickup.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

I'm seeing light ejector swiping on 17gr H110 and Nosler 150gr ballistic tips with cci 400 primers and 2.100 OAL. I've got another string worked up with 16.5gr to see if it settles down a little and stretched it out to 2.125. Accuracy was poor, but POI was very close to my 150gr moly SMK load of the same recipe and weight which didn't exhibit any pressure signs and had excellent accuracy.

I still backed that one down to 16.8gr for the next test. I have a feeling 17 even with the moly was on the edge of being a bit too hot. I should have some crono data for them later today.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

19g of h110 on 110 vmax here .. not pushing hot .. but cycles fine and sounds great !
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Still flattening primers on both loads, and didn't get to clock the ones I shot. Dropping the charge on the BT's to 16.5gr did good things, as did keeping them under 2.100. 2.125 ended up bumping the pressure up when I was curious how they'd feed that long. Bringing them down to 2.0" is my next experiment. We had no bench or targets, so I only know they were hitting the ice chunks pretty close to where I was aiming.

Next time I know to bring my chrony with.

I also got some 125gr BT's today along with more 150's. I'm not sure what my fixation is with the 150's - I shoot 117-120gr almost exclusively out of my .25-06 and that kills everything I shoot DRT.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Jim Timber wrote:Still flattening primers on both loads, and didn't get to clock the ones I shot. Dropping the charge on the BT's to 16.5gr did good things, as did keeping them under 2.100. 2.125 ended up bumping the pressure up when I was curious how they'd feed that long.
How does chamber pressure increase when you increase the OAL? If anything, chamber pressure should decrease.
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

I like horn 150 grain fmj. I only use cci 400 primers. I used 1680, h110,n110 with great success till I went piston. Now I am rolling mine with AA2200. It works great for me. A bit slower on the burn chart then 1680 but I am using a 16" barrel.