Need help converting .223 / 5.56 brass to 300 Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ut_dtom

Re: Need help converting .223 / 5.56 brass to 300 Blackout

Post by ut_dtom »

AR-300 wrote:
ut_dtom wrote: First, I have ZERO experience reloading ammo for any caliber.
Do yourself a favor and get some good books and manuals on reloading
read them, take notes and make sure you comprehend the entire process.
It will save you a lot of heart-ache down the road.
Thanks for the tip. I definitely plan on doing this. I just want to make sure I have everything I need to reload the 300 Blackout with all the uncertainty in the market right now because I currently have zero ammo for my rifle.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

You might want to start looking for primers. Very hard to find right now and I expect they will continue to be bought up as soon as they appear at shops/online retailers for quite a while.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
ut_dtom

Post by ut_dtom »

tfbit wrote:You might want to start looking for primers. Very hard to find right now and I expect they will continue to be bought up as soon as they appear at shops/online retailers for quite a while.
Okay. Do you recommend 6-1/2 or 7-1/2?
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

CCI 400s work great for supers for me
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

CCI 400 and 450 is what I'm using but I don't really think you're going to have much of a choice in the near future. It's going to be whatever small rifle primer you can find at just about double last months price.
ut_dtom wrote:
tfbit wrote:You might want to start looking for primers. Very hard to find right now and I expect they will continue to be bought up as soon as they appear at shops/online retailers for quite a while.
Okay. Do you recommend 6-1/2 or 7-1/2?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

tfbit wrote:CCI 400 and 450 is what I'm using but I don't really think you're going to have much of a choice in the near future. It's going to be whatever small rifle primer you can find at just about double last months price.
Have to give kudos to my LGS
Stopped and no prices were up
CCI400s were $3.69 a 100 so I bought 6 packs (all they had)
Bullseye still $20
All gun price tags were old and worn, no markups.
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
ut_dtom

Post by ut_dtom »

I have located some CCI #41 Military primers. Are these a good choice?
KrisDontMiss

Post by KrisDontMiss »

First, I have ZERO experience reloading ammo for any caliber.
Like AR-300 said get manuals and take notes. Take lots of notes. Every time you measure, trim, weigh, set depth, change primers/powder/O.A.L. take notes. Sometimes you get lucky and nail it after only 2 tries, sometimes it seems you are never quite satisfied. Review your notes and try again. I feel reloading gives you a more intimate feel as to how YOUR rifle works/feels/lives and breathes. Dont get discouraged ask plenty of questions, and above all be safe and take some notes. CCI #41 are all I use as they are universal for my AR-15 and 300BLK that I seem to have trouble getting parts in now for some reason. CCI #41 are designed for the AR semi auto feed systems and are less likely to slam fire. Good luck, defend the Document, and Semper Fidelis.
The loudest sound in the world is CLICK when you are expecting BANG!!!
ut_dtom

Post by ut_dtom »

Okay I have purchased/ordered the following items so far:

Harbor Freight mini chop saw
vz58's case cut-off jig
Hornady Custom Grade 2 die set
Lee Factory Crimp tool
Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer
LE Wilson Case length Headspace gage
CCI #41 primers
.223 and 5.56 brass

In addition, I have several friends who have tons of reloading equipment so I should be good for the basic stuff like presses, powder measures, brass cleaners, etc. I will be relying on their knowledge and experience as I get started reloading. I have also picked up a copy of the Lyman Reloading Manual (49th ed) and have started reading it. If there are any other books or manuals I should read please recommend them.

So, other than powder and bullets, is there any other equipment I should get for reloading 300 Blackout ammo? I know I need to research bullets and powders for my loads, but right now I am just trying to acquire all the necessary equipment.

I really appreciate everyone's help. This is an awesome forum for an awesome rifle cartridge!
skhowell
Silent But Deadly

Post by skhowell »

If you really want to know your reload will easily chamber without having to cycle it through your gun you should look into getting one of the Sheridan Engineering 300BLK Ammo Gauge. PM the membername Zapp to get order info. I think it was $35 delivered when I bought one. It mimics a 300BLK chamber with indicator steps to show acceptable limits.

The Wilson gauge is purposely generous in size to get an accurate look at shoulder and length issues. The ammo gauge lets you see how your loaded ammo or brass does in an in spec chamber.

Nick
NRA Life
Retired FBOP