Need help converting .223 / 5.56 brass to 300 Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ut_dtom

Re: Need help converting .223 / 5.56 brass to 300 Blackout

Post by ut_dtom »

skhowell wrote:If you really want to know your reload will easily chamber without having to cycle it through your gun you should look into getting one of the Sheridan Engineering 300BLK Ammo Gauge. PM the membername Zapp to get order info.
PM sent. Thanks.
300BLKSUB

Post by 300BLKSUB »

Hello All,
I am also getting into reloading and have order most of the essentials minus the press. Im still debating from the LEE and a Dillon or HORNADY.

Can someone recommend a good or some good reloading guide or books to read before getting started?

Thanks!
PWS 300BLK upper 9"
POF lower
AAC supressor
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

Go to amazon
type in "ABCs of Reloading"
several good references
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Tried a different method of converting tonight.

Before, I'd done the necking down with whole .223 brass and removed the sizing ball. This time, I chopped (free hand) the necks off with an angle grinder mounted in my vise, and then resized them with the ball, then trimmed to length, followed by deburring. I found I got a much thinner wall neck this way, and much more consistent neck tension, with less galling on the trimmer pilot to boot.

If I ever extinguish my supply, I'll make a trough like some guy did on youtube and cut them with my chainsaw sharpener sporting a cutoff blade.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
300BLKSUB

Post by 300BLKSUB »

Thanks AR-300 I read reviews on it and it looks good to read while gathering more supplies.
PWS 300BLK upper 9"
POF lower
AAC supressor
roundabout

Post by roundabout »

I found that redding makes form and trim die for the 300 ACC black out Redding number 83327 type c. Mine came with the extended shell holder Part No. 11510. I have the saw and jig but this is much easier set up and use. You don't even have to adjust the die as long as the shell holder touches the bottom of the die. The redding website is difficult to navigate but the customer services is great. I always got some retired person who had reloaded for a long time. just put the die in your press and pull the handle and there you go, it forms the case. You just cut off the excess brass with one cut of a hack saw blade and then either use a file with no groves, ceramic store, so as not to damage the die, or case trimmer to trim the brass.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/online ... t-trim-die