UMC 115gr clone?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

k2ue

UMC 115gr clone?

Post by k2ue »

Has anyone come up with a clone of the UMC 115gr factory loading, so we can reload practice ammo to the same velocity and POI?

And as another question, has anyone identified the powders (or their nearest canister equivalents) used in commercial 300AAC ammo?
Clyde Washburn
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member,
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, SCOPE Member, GCL Member
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Re: UMC 115gr clone?

Post by BobinNC »

k2ue wrote:Has anyone come up with a clone of the UMC 115gr factory loading, so we can reload practice ammo to the same velocity and POI?

And as another question, has anyone identified the powders (or their nearest canister equivalents) used in commercial 300AAC ammo?

DD Ambush
16" Factory DD Barrel
Lancer L5 20 rd Mag, Lancer L5 AWM 10 rd. Mag
115 gr Berger FB Target Bullet
19.6 gr Lil'Gun Powder
Once fired Rem 300 BLK case
CCI 450 Primer
2.060" COAL
2286 FPS

I will say that Berger Bullets , as the only maker of 115 gr bullets sold as components, makes for rather expensive "practice" ammo @ $39. per hundred. I've discontinued the use of this load as my reloads cost nearly as much a Rem factory.

I found better success building practice ammo using reloads built around the Speer 125 gr TNT which run around $23. per hundred when bought in bulk quantities. POI's down range are close enough not to matter much until you get past 200 yds. or so. If you use a scope that easy adjusts via turrets, mapping the POI for each load and adjusting is not an insurmountable problem.

As to your second question, no. Really no point, as you cannot get the same powder that the factories use.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The big amo factories store load data as pressure/velocity rather than go by powder charge like reloaders do. This enables different powders to be used that are not controlled in the same way.
k2ue

Post by k2ue »

300Blk wrote:The big amo factories store load data as pressure/velocity rather than go by powder charge like reloaders do. This enables different powders to be used that are not controlled in the same way.
I understand that cartridge companies use non-canister powders, and adjust their loads for each powder lot, but most of the OEM powders have similar canister cousins, precisely because there is commercial demand, so it is easy to pick out lots meeting narrower specs for the canister trade.
Clyde Washburn
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member,
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, SCOPE Member, GCL Member