Load Catalog: Supersonic, All Powders, Cast Bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bamachem
Silent Operator

Load Catalog: Supersonic, All Powders, Cast Bullets

Post by bamachem »

This thread is a compilation of "Pet Loads" using any powders when combined with CAST bullets at SUPERSONIC velocities that others have contributed for publication. No chat and no discussion of loads. You can provide a link in your post for the "workup" of the load if you choose to post one.

Any loads listed are what have worked for others, but does not mean that they will work for you or your specific firearm. Pet Loads are NOT a shortcut nor a quick and cheap way to escape the sometimes tedious task of load development. Load development means starting with a LOWER powder charge and working up to that "Pet Load" in a safe and methodical manner, always checking for signs of overpressure along the way. NEVER take a "Pet Load" and use it as a starting point.

In order to be considered for publication, you can submit your information in the following format:

Rifle Used
Barrel Maker, Contour, Gas Length/Port Size (if known)
Barrel Length and Twist
Magazine Brand/Size
Bullet Used (Die Manufacturer, Type of Alloy, Average Cast Weight)
Powder Charge and Brand
Case Used
Primer Used
COAL
Chronograph Velocity, if known or manual velocity, if known.
Any issues or problems, Failure to Fire, Failure to Feed, Failure to Eject, etc. Keep it short.
Link to your "workup" thread

This is an example of a load that I worked up in my AR:
AR15
AR Stoner, Med Contour, Carbine
16", 1:8 5R
MagPul PMAG, 30RD & Custom 10RD (cut down 30RD mag)
Lee 300BLK Die, Lead Wheel Weights, 229.7gr
9.0gr Hodgdon Lil'Gun
LC 5.56, reformed to 300BLK
CCI 450 Small Mag
2.18"
Transonic, unknown (occasional sonic crack with Suppressor)
Will fire fine, will eject cases but does not feed next round. Approx 2 MOA at 100-yards.
N/A

Please ensure that your load info is in this format when submitted. Any loads that are incomplete are subject to deletion at any time.

Again, no chat or discussion allowed. Chat and discussion should be done in your individual "workup" thread that you link to.

Thanks!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Load Catalog: Supersonic, All Powders, Cast Bullets

Post by gds »

AR15
9.5 in 1 in 8.5 twist pistol length gas
30rnd Pmag
Lee 160gr Tumble Lube Gas check cast from Wheel weights
14.7gr Lil gun
Cut down Blank LC
Fiochi Small rifle
COAL 2.000
1625fps
good plinking load.
Last edited by gds on Thu May 23, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

AR15
16" 1 in 10 twist carbine gas system .125 gas port
30 rnd Pmag
Lee 160gr Tumble lube Gas check cast from Wheel weights
14.7gr Lil Gun
Cut down Blank LC
Fiochi Small rifle
COAL 2.000
1900 fps
good plinking load
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
nitrohuck

Post by nitrohuck »

This thread is a compilation of "Pet Loads" using any powders when combined with CAST bullets at SUBSONIC velocities that others have contributed for publication. No chat and no discussion of loads. You can provide a link in your post for the "workup" of the load if you choose to post one.

Any loads listed are what have worked for others, but does not mean that they will work for you or your specific firearm. Pet Loads are NOT a shortcut nor a quick and cheap way to escape the sometimes tedious task of load development. Load development means starting with a LOWER powder charge and working up to that "Pet Load" in a safe and methodical manner, always checking for signs of overpressure along the way. NEVER take a "Pet Load" and use it as a starting point.

Rifle Used
- 16" AR Uppper (Mas Defense) PSA Lower

Barrel Maker, Contour, Gas Length/Port Size (if known)
-MAS Defense Barrel 1/8"
- Carbine Gas (port drilled out to .111")

Magazine Brand/Size
- 30 Gen3 Pmag (window mags)

Bullet Used (Die Manufacturer, Type of Alloy, Average Cast Weight)
- NOE 314-129, cast from straight clip on WW alloy
- Tumble lubed
- Gas checked
- Sized to .311"
- Final weight ~134grs

Powder Charge and Brand
- Alliant 300MP (18.5grs)

Case Used
- LC Reformed .556

Primer Used
- CCI 400

COAL
-1.900"
Chronograph Velocity, if known or manual velocity, if known.
Unverified, estimates are ~2,000fps, still awaiting chronograph

Any issues or problems, Failure to Fire, Failure to Feed, Failure to Eject, etc. Keep it short.
Link to your "workup" thread

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=87483

Produces no leading, bore is clean at the end of the session with the wipe of a single dry patch :)
destrux
Silent Operator

Post by destrux »

Rifle Used - Custom build, AXC Micro gas block, semi-carrier, carbine buffer/tube/spring, unsuppressed, no barrel attachment.
Barrel - CMMG 8.0" nitrided barrel with pistol length gas
Barrel Length and Twist - 8" 1-7 twist
Magazine Brand/Size - Magpul Pmag 30 Gen2 with internal ribs trimmed full length
Bullet Used (Die Manufacturer, Type of Alloy, Average Cast Weight)- Lee TL309-230-5R, COWW/range scrap mystery mix, 224gr after coating, powder coated (including base) with Harbor Freight Red via electrostatic method.
Powder Charge and Brand - 14.0 grains A1680
Case Used - LC
Primer Used - Wolf NCSRM (also tested safe with Rem 7 1/2)
COAL - 2.250"
Velocity - Estimated by Quickload to be 1,422fps (1,033 ft-lbs) in 16.5" barrel or 1,235fps (739 ft-lbs) in an 8.0"
Any issues or problems - None. No leading, no pressure signs. Tested in 35 degree (F) temps, dry weather, 1,100ft elevation. Definite supersonic crack (obviously). Runs clean, very little powder residue.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

Rifle: Olympic Arms, collapsible carbine butt with carbine spring and buffer
barrel: 16" stainless bull, 1-8" twist
gas: carbine
magazine: Pmag 20 round Gen III unmodified
bullet: Lee CTL-312-160-2R sized .311" 170gr w/GC and lube in Lyman 450
OAL: 2.060"
cases: reformed FC, annealed
primers: Federal 205
powder: Accurate Arms data powder 2200 from late 1990s
charge: 19.0gr have shot heavier charges, but accuracy degrades by 20.0gr, 20.4gr pushes bullet back out of the case. Above 18.5gr I found no evidence of unburned powder.

I taper crimp behind the first microband rather than seating deeper to the crimp groove. .005" taper crimp at the case mouth appears adequate to prevent bullets moving during cycling.

I've also used the C312-155-2R crimped into the first driving band 2.055". The older C312-155-2R (160gr) has a narrower ogive than the CTL-312-160. Likewise, the Lyman 311672 and RCBS 30-165-SIL can be substituted as can the NOE 311-155-FN. This latter bullet groups well, but tends to move when crimped into the first driving band.

Edit:
19.0 AA2200 CTL-312-160 (170gr) 1655fps avg
20.0 AA2200 C312-155-2R (160gr) 1759fps avg
14.8 H110 C312-155-2R (160gr) 1802fps avg
15.8 H110 C312-155-2R (160gr) 1919fps avg
Black Rifles Matter