Load Catalog: Subsonic, All other Powders and Bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

offsidewing
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Load Catalog: Subsonic, All other Powders and Bullets

Post by offsidewing »

My results with N120 are fantastic. Based on feedback of this forum, when loading for subs, pick a powder charge with N120 and seat the bullet so the base is touching the powder. Measure CBTO.
ropedrag

Post by ropedrag »

Guys I think I figured out my N120 issue comments from my load development posting a few posts back. Well when I say issue it's not a deal breaker type of issue just not ideal.

Anyway, I put a new primer in a fired case and loaded the 11.4 grains, then dropped in one of the 208 gr Hornady 208 ELD Match bullets for this load. Surprise! After measuring where the bullet rested it turns out I'm crushing the bullet into the powder about .09 when seating.

Taking one step further to understand the powder load grains needed to only just kiss the powder and bullet. Turns out 9.5 grains.

Since I started this load development at 9.9 grains and getting less than 800fps it would appear this bullet and its profile for this caliber with this powder isn't ideal.

Well since I've 8 lbs of this powder and 1000 of these bullets (picked up at a great price) I think I'm going to load em up for reserve and the zombie apocalypse and use the other 2 loads I developed for plinking and such. Unless someone with the experience might suggest a better powder for this bullet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ropedrag wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:08 pm Guys I think I figured out my N120 issue comments from my load development posting a few posts back. Well when I say issue it's not a deal breaker type of issue just not ideal.

Anyway, I put a new primer in a fired case and loaded the 11.4 grains, then dropped in one of the 208 gr Hornady 208 ELD Match bullets for this load. Surprise! After measuring where the bullet rested it turns out I'm crushing the bullet into the powder about .09 when seating.

Taking one step further to understand the powder load grains needed to only just kiss the powder and bullet. Turns out 9.5 grains.

Since I started this load development at 9.9 grains and getting less than 800fps it would appear this bullet and its profile for this caliber with this powder isn't ideal.

Well since I've 8 lbs of this powder and 1000 of these bullets (picked up at a great price) I think I'm going to load em up for reserve and the zombie apocalypse and use the other 2 loads I developed for plinking and such. Unless someone with the experience might suggest a better powder for this bullet.
I disagree.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=97746&hilit=N120+Hornady
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ropedrag

Post by ropedrag »

dellet wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 pm
ropedrag wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:08 pm Guys I think I figured out my N120 issue comments from my load development posting a few posts back. Well when I say issue it's not a deal breaker type of issue just not ideal.

I disagree.

You disagree, and maybe I can learn from that!

Guess the variables would then leave me to think that this round through a pistol gas 9" barrel suppressed makes that much of a difference. Heck my velocity at 10.5 was 904fps, your 18" barrel gun yielded close to 200 fps more. Maybe I should have said it would appear that this bullet and its profile for this caliber with this powder isn't ideal in my gun, a suppressed 9" barrel with pistol gas?

What may have prematurely drove me to the comment I made was offsidewing's comment about the bullet base seated to just touch the powder. Like I tried, I would have to drop the charge to 9.5 to make magazine length using this powder touch as a basis.

DaedalusX seems to like it out of his 10". So I'm also Wondering if thats carbine gas and if it's suppressed.

What confuses me the most are the 5 shot extreme velocity spreads I get with this powder/bullet combo. For load development I've "borrowed" my scientist wife's $1200 Fisher Scientific AccuSeries balance (scale) and ensured I'm within .02 grain of target so that variable is covered fairly well.

I'm 100% open to suggestions on making this load perform better in my gun.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ropedrag wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:36 pm
dellet wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 pm

I disagree.

You disagree, and maybe I can learn from that!

Guess the variables would then leave me to think that this round through a pistol gas 9" barrel suppressed makes that much of a difference. Heck my velocity at 10.5 was 904fps, your 18" barrel gun yielded close to 200 fps more. Maybe I should have said it would appear that this bullet and its profile for this caliber with this powder isn't ideal in my gun, a suppressed 9" barrel with pistol gas?

What may have prematurely drove me to the comment I made was offsidewing's comment about the bullet base seated to just touch the powder. Like I tried, I would have to drop the charge to 9.5 to make magazine length using this powder touch as a basis.

DaedalusX seems to like it out of his 10". So I'm also Wondering if thats carbine gas and if it's suppressed.

What confuses me the most are the 5 shot extreme velocity spreads I get with this powder/bullet combo. For load development I've "borrowed" my scientist wife's $1200 Fisher Scientific AccuSeries balance (scale) and ensured I'm within .02 grain of target so that variable is covered fairly well.

I'm 100% open to suggestions on making this load perform better in my gun.
Might be worth starting a dedicated thread. In theory this is for data only so it doesn’t get a bunch of clutter.

Same load in my 8” barrel is around 1020 fps. Depending on powder bullet combination I often have to add powder to get the same velocity in the 18”. The bullet will often start losing velocity due to extra friction.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Roadrunner1969

Post by Roadrunner1969 »

LC-Uniq-190-SB

Ruger RARR
16.125" 1:7 Twist
Lancer 10 rd.
190 Hornady Sub-X
6.0 Unique
Norma brass (some of these groups were shot with Hornady brass, Norma brass gave the best groups and SDs)
CCI450
2.070"
MV: Average of averages: 993 Chrono
ES: average of averages: 24
SD: Average of averages: 9.6
(59 rounds)

100 yard groups averaged 1.125" (using unsorted brass), best was .5" using Norma brass.
200 yard group was 1.625"
Zeroed at 100 yds, POI at 200 yds was 34" below POA.

** COAL is a moving target with these bullets. Bullet OAL varies quite a bit, but the seating depth is pretty consistent, even though COAL varies when loaded. When I start to load a batch, I find a bullet with 1.302" OAL and use that to set my seating stem. I then seat all of the other bullets using that setting. COAL will vary, but seating depth will be pretty consistent.