Velocity thresholds?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Terrace85

Velocity thresholds?

Post by Terrace85 »

I've been contemplating a 300blk build, so I've been reading up on it. I would like to build an 8.X" pistol and shoot supersonics for the most part. I've been searching and can't seem to find the minimum velocity numbers for bullets.

The particular bullets I'm looking at are:
Barnes black tips- are good out to 300yds with a 9" barrel, more than enough for me.
Hornady Vmax 110gr- being a Vmax, I assume 1600fps?
Sierra Pro Hunter 125gr- ????
Sierra OTM 125gr (300blk specific)- ????
Sierra Varminter 110gr- I'm guessing 1600fps?
Speer TNT 125gr- I'm guessing 1600fps?
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: Velocity thresholds?

Post by farm use »

Im getting 2220 fps with the 110 gn vmax & 1950fps with the 125 gn sierra spitzer. No sloutch. I shot some blk tips yesterday & group was great at 100 yrds, less than a inch. Havnt run them over crony yet. Shot 125 gn nosler BT out to 400 yrds yesterday also on a 8" plate. They shoot very well also.
Terrace85

Post by Terrace85 »

I take it your using around an 8-9" barrel? I appreciate the velocites.

But what I'm asking is what is the minimum velocity, for each of the bullets listed, to frag/expand. I'm trying to see what kind of effective range I can get out of them.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Terrace85 wrote:I take it your using around an 8-9" barrel? I appreciate the velocites.

But what I'm asking is what is the minimum velocity, for each of the bullets listed, to frag/expand. I'm trying to see what kind of effective range I can get out of them.
I use a 8" & a 16". Sorry i dont have a minimum velocity. Never been asked for one. Im sure you could contact hornady or nosler & they should have that data. I just shoot them hard, the 110 vmax for varmints should do well out to 400 & same with the 125 gn nosler BT. I shot a ground hog with the 110 gn vmax at 150 yrds & it destroyed it. The 125 gn BT should do well on deer out to 300 yrds or so.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

You define a velocity that does what exactly to the bullet? Expands the bullet to 1.5x diameter more than 50% of the time? Absolutely no one is going to know the answer to that, that is assuming that is what you meant to ask.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Terrace85 wrote: But what I'm asking is what is the minimum velocity, for each of the bullets listed, to frag/expand. I'm trying to see what kind of effective range I can get out of them.
That is a very valid question. Obviously any expanding bullet has a minimum velocity below which it does not perform as intended. Funny that some people here don't think about that; it's enlightening about the experience level of people on this board.
In 1998 Handloader magazine published results of extensive testing with most of the popular 30 cal 180gr hunting bullets, at velocities ranging from 1400 to 3100 fps, to determine the velocity expansion threshold for each bullet. (see results here, expand to full size to make it readable: http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

It would be useful to do a similar test for bullets appropriate to the Blackout, but I don't know of any controlled testing like the link above.
Terrace85

Post by Terrace85 »

I'm asking at what point any of those projectiles fail to expand or frag at all, I don't need a certain percentage. The way I see it, I'd rather have a bullet fragging/expanding with X amount of energy over a bullet that has 10 times that energy and just pokes holes. It's about dumping as much energy into the target as possible. Hitting bone is another matter, at least to me. I know a lot of people won't agree with me or at least completely.

For example, farm use mentioned the 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. It has a B.C. of .366 and they recommend a minimum velocity of 1800fps to get any expansion (or so I assume). Lets say in 300blk its running 2200fps out of a 16" barrel. Using a calculator, it drops to 1800fps at around 190yds. Out of an 8" barrel, lets say it's running 2000fps. It's going to hit 1800fps at almost 100yds. Granted this is theoretical, but I'd rather have it then just guess or hope.