230 Lee cast

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

HillbillyJim

230 Lee cast

Post by HillbillyJim »

Has anyone got info on loads using the Lee cast bullet? With and without seated gas check bases?
My mold and my mix casts 234.5 grain average weights. It took me a while to get the temperature of the molten lead right along with the rhymn to cast and drop the bullets. Once all dialed in it made for some pretty bullets. Seated gas check on twenty and have 80 as cast. Used Lee bullet lube as recommended.
Can hardly wait to get my approval for the suppressor and try them out.
fistybum

Re: 230 Lee cast

Post by fistybum »

I'm running the noe 247 cast boolits.... Started out with tumble lube for the first few batches.... worked well, but I have since had a rcbs lubrasizer fall in my lap and have been using it for lube size.....If I did not get a killer deal on the rcbs I would still be tumble lubing.... I think it is perfectly adequate for the speed and pressure we are running....Check out the castboolits forum, in the boolit lube section in the stickies there is a recipe for "recluse's 45/45/10" You cook down some Johnston paste wax and mix it with lee alox and mineral spirits.... goes on much thinner, with much less mess!!! Way better than straight lee alox...

I'm running 11.5 gn of 1680, or 10.5gn of H110.... prefer the 1680....
Last edited by fistybum on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whispering_Thunder

Post by Whispering_Thunder »

I'm pushing Lyman 311284 (I'm dropping them around 220gr) w/ 9.6gr of W296 with good success sized to .309. Speed/Pressure is low enough where I haven't found a need for gas checks.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have had 200 made with two different hardnesses. I have shot a bunch.. They feed well in the AR. The ES and the accuracy is another.

I expected better results, I am still working it. The tumble lube was a huge FAIL. I now need to mix up the 45/45/10 and see it that helps.

I may make a special setup where I just whipe the band with a Q-Tip dipped in a harder vesion of the mix. to only get lube in the band not the base.

The freaking boat tail design caused you to NOT be able to use your normal sizer/luber. DUMB! the lube will ooze all over the base. So you are FORCED to Tumble lube.

I know my attempt to lube was a bad job. but they are lubed. Nasty sticky crap. More sticks to the nose than the lube band. It needs to be thinner and dry harder.

Anyway.. regardless I have not had much luck getting them to work well. The 210 bore rider was insanely accurate. Make it a tad longer and Good to go IMHO.

If 4 MOA is OK than maybe this is OK.. but 940 FPS then a 1050 FPS the next shot is unacceptable. Weighted each... I can hear and feel the variations. Even my trusty pistol powder are not doig well. I think you HAVE to size them and you can;t use a Lyman sizer. So a Lee sizer is next to TRY to make these work.

Let's keep our info here in this thread on the Lee cast 230 gr bullet.. Maybe someone will find the magic solution
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
fullofdays

Post by fullofdays »

subscribed :twisted:
RU shooter
Silent Operator

Post by RU shooter »

JohnInNH wrote: Maybe someone will find the magic solution
Thats an easy one ream out that stupid boat tail to .310 ! I wonder who was the brain child at Lee to dream up up that design ?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

RU shooter wrote:
JohnInNH wrote: Maybe someone will find the magic solution
Thats an easy one ream out that stupid boat tail to .310 ! I wonder who was the brain child at Lee to dream up up that design ?

It was to make so it was a dual purpose design a gas check fits on the tapered base. I put one on to see...yep then it rips off when it hits the neck. In a 30-30 case the neck is long enough, but not the BLK.

Modifying the tail to .30 is the solution. Will cost more than the mold to do. It will also up the weight to maybe 235-240 gr.

I will have mine cut if I can find a place to do it for a reasonable cost.. but then it may need additional grease grooves
fistybum

Post by fistybum »

My first tumble lube sucked too... I followed the lee instructions to a t.....nasty sticky shit... fucking got every where....I did a whole bunch of them too...after a bunch of reading on castboolits I put a couple of hand fulls in a coolwhip tub and pouring a couple cap fulls of mineral spirits,gave them a bit of a wash... strain and dry on wax paper they loaded up and shot better....next batch used the 45/45/10. Two thin coats...worked great,much less goop and crud in the press and action....
3006mv
Silent Operator

Post by 3006mv »

loaded 11.4 gr AA-1680 11.2 gr AA-1680 10.5 gr AA-1680 hope to try out soon.
Last edited by 3006mv on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

fistybum wrote:My first tumble lube sucked too... I followed the lee instructions to a t.....nasty sticky shit... fucking got every where....I did a whole bunch of them too...after a bunch of reading on castboolits I put a couple of hand fulls in a coolwhip tub and pouring a couple cap fulls of mineral spirits,gave them a bit of a wash... strain and dry on wax paper they loaded up and shot better....next batch used the 45/45/10. Two thin coats...worked great,much less goop and crud in the press and action....

Someone should sell the 45/45/10% stuff... How STUPID to not sell it ready made. The Lee stuff is crap. I got some paste wax, but gave up.. will use the Missouri bullets.. screw it. I do like the Lee bullet if it drops consistently and was easier to lube.

The taper rear end helps in seating but FUBARS up lubing in a normal Lyman luber.