Advice for setting up Brads Warehouse trimmer for 550b

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Advice for setting up Brads Warehouse trimmer for 550b

Post by rjacobs »

I just got my setup from Brads Warehouse for converting and trimming .223/5.56 into .300blk on my Dillon 550b and the RT1200.

I have once fired factory Remington factory .300blk cases and I used my kinetic puller to pull apart a new unfired round so I have 2 things to compare it to. I also am planning on running a 3rd case through the Forster full length resizing die. So with those 3 cases in hand I should be able to get things set pretty easily I am thinking. I also have a Wilson case gauge.

Anybody got any advice or tricks on how to get it setup correctly without a ton of trial and error and useless cases(I have about 10k .223 cases so thats not a huge deal)?

Case length from what I am reading should spec to be 1.368 from AAC's specs, but I also see some people trimming to 1.355. I am trying to search through a bunch of threads and having a hard time picking out what I should be shooting for.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Notar
Silent But Deadly

Re: Advice for setting up Brads Warehouse trimmer for 550b

Post by Notar »

I put threads in my tool head, then used small cap screws to pull the tool head tight to the frame of the press(uniquetec, sp?) sells a kit.

Set your headspace first with just the die(no trimmer), use a headspace gauge and a fired case from your weapon if you have some, otherwise use a LE Wilson case gauge and size to the bottom 1/3 of the gauge. Install die lock ring on the bottom side of the tool head.

Use lots of lube on 20 cases. When you think it's set, run a batch of 5 to see if it's locked down. The cases are a snug fit in the die, after 20+ cases it smooths out. When you start production, the cases don't need lots of lube, if cases are spinning in the die, you might have to much lube. Don't fight spinning cases, you'll pull you hair out. I use 4 squirts of dillon lube per 750 cases, after you've done 2k, 3 squirts will do it.

Put on the motor and lower until the cutter just touches the bottom of the die, even a little force with the cutter bottoming out will break the cutter blade!!!
Backup the motor 1 1/2 turns, tighten lock ring and check your length. 1.368 in max length, I would trim to 1.358. You can always run up a 300 BLK case in the die, then screw down the trimmer to that level.

To catch the shavings, you can try some 3 inch high strips of cardboard to form a box around the toolhead(open top), and tape to the press, then vacuum out every 100 cases while your motor cools.

Brad :)
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: Advice for setting up Brads Warehouse trimmer for 550b

Post by rjacobs »

Notar wrote:I put threads in my tool head, then used small cap screws to pull the tool head tight to the frame of the press(uniquetec, sp?) sells a kit.

Set your headspace first with just the die(no trimmer), use a headspace gauge and a fired case from your weapon if you have some, otherwise use a LE Wilson case gauge and size to the bottom 1/3 of the gauge. Install die lock ring on the bottom side of the tool head.

Use lots of lube on 20 cases. When you think it's set, run a batch of 5 to see if it's locked down. The cases are a snug fit in the die, after 20+ cases it smooths out. When you start production, the cases don't need lots of lube, if cases are spinning in the die, you might have to much lube. Don't fight spinning cases, you'll pull you hair out. I use 4 squirts of dillon lube per 750 cases, after you've done 2k, 3 squirts will do it.

Put on the motor and lower until the cutter just touches the bottom of the die, even a little force with the cutter bottoming out will break the cutter blade!!!
Backup the motor 1 1/2 turns, tighten lock ring and check your length. 1.368 in max length, I would trim to 1.358. You can always run up a 300 BLK case in the die, then screw down the trimmer to that level.

To catch the shavings, you can try some 3 inch high strips of cardboard to form a box around the toolhead(open top), and tape to the press, then vacuum out every 100 cases while your motor cools.

Brad :)
Thanks.

So basically the same standard pain in the ass way as setting it up for every other caliber LOL.

I think I am going to use their advice for using a wand type vacuum attachment and drilling a hole in it to fit over the die since its thinner than the blue attachment from Dillon. Ill see how that works and if not will try your method.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com