Hornady 125gr sst or the barnes 110 gr black tipps

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jokker78
Silent Operator

Hornady 125gr sst or the barnes 110 gr black tipps

Post by jokker78 »

i want to kill a deer with my 300 BLK, What bullet the 125 sst or the black tips? powder will be imr 4227,

sorry all the questions im new to the reloading for the 300blk
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 125gr sst or the barnes 110 gr black tipps

Post by plant.one »

if you look through the hunting forum - lots of folks seem to be having luck with either projectile.

it comes down to finding which one your rifle performs better with accuracy wise and then the rest is up to you making the shot count.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I believe 4227 doesn't give max speeds for the supers at that weight so I would think that the 110gr Barnes Blacktip would be the better option since it expands at lower speeds. Provided it shoots accurately for you. If not you at least have what seems to be the 2nd best bullet option for hunting and expansion so you should be ok either way if you can get the speeds over 2050fps at the muzzle.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:I believe 4227 doesn't give max speeds for the supers at that weight so I would think that the 110gr Barnes Blacktip would be the better option since it expands at lower speeds. Provided it shoots accurately for you. If not you at least have what seems to be the 2nd best bullet option for hunting and expansion so you should be ok either way if you can get the speeds over 2050fps at the muzzle.

...I'd recommend you chrony your rounds then run the figures thru the free online JBM Ballistics calculator to see what FPS is retained at what distances. Hornady states the V-Max bullets expand down to 1600 FPS, more than likely similar with SST's...
doubleshot00
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleshot00 »

Buy both shoot both and see which one is more accurate. Use the most accurate one.

Also how far do you plan on shooting. If it's going to be 150+ then Blacktips have the added advantage (as they expand at a lower velocity).
vetman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by vetman »

What about the possibility of a shoulder shot? Does the SST gain the advantage over the Blacktips if you hit the shoulder?

In the discussions I have read in the forums on the Blacktips it appears there are some questions of the bullet's performance if you hit solid bone before entering the chest cavity.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

vetman wrote:What about the possibility of a shoulder shot? Does the SST gain the advantage over the Blacktips if you hit the shoulder?

In the discussions I have read in the forums on the Blacktips it appears there are some questions of the bullet's performance if you hit solid bone before entering the chest cavity.
plant.one wrote:and then the rest is up to you making the shot count.
even a 30-06 will splash off a shoulder if you catch the deer wrong. My dr's grandson - first year hunting this season had a large buck in front of him, pulled the shot a bit and the bullet hit the shoulder and deflected off. Heck of a puff of hair from what doc said. Fur everywhere basically at the place they shot it. The deer was quartering away from him. the bullet was a ballistic silvertip.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

I have used both on a lot of hogs. Black tips work but lack the blood trails that the SST deliver. I have shot giant hogs with the SST and it drops them quick. The black tips penetrated well when I shot a large boar through the shoulder on purpose just to try it out. No blood trail but I heard him crash and found him. I have gone strictly to the SST due to cost and availability. The SST performs better for me overall since I need good blood trails due to thick vegetation. Also the SST dropped a 100 pound doe like a rock and sprayed blood 6 feet. Hope this helps!
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

If I was using 4227, I would use a 125 grain bullet.