Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Nosler 125Gr Ballistic Tip 300 Blackout Load

Post by 20X11 »

CMMG WASP 300blk 1/8 twist 16 “ Carbine gas barrel – Standard Buffer
Weather for all days was ~60 degrees 25% Rel Humidity 5000 ft Altitude
Most Accurate Load for each Ladder is Bolded
***Disclaimer: Use load data at your own risk...work up your own loads with all due regards to safety***
WilliamSS2025
Silent Operator

Post by WilliamSS2025 »

Can i ask a stupid question? I was told the load max on that was like 17.8 grains... what kind of pressure signs should i look for? i've never loaded outside of book loads... but i'm running 17grains of H110 and @2.085 (AAC ) and I can't get my groups smaller than 1" @ 100 yards.. so i'm looking something different lol

tfbit wrote:I just bought a bunch of these. Cabelas had them on sale for $15 per 50 and also had a $20 off $150 rebate code offer on their website (shipping was free as I have them ship to the store near me). My most accurate/fast load so far is 18.2gr of H110 with a CCI450 primer, loaded to 2.085" OAL. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards out of my 16" barrel. I'm just starting to see very faint ejector circles once in a while at 18.2 while 18.3gr starts giving me some shiny ejector marks. Wish I had some chrono data I could give but my chronograph is giving me too many unrealistic numbers when I put supers over it. I really want to get my hands on a Magnetospeed...

Edit: And of course, after seeing the heavier loads posted (which I've seen before up to 20+ grains of H110), I'm going to jack the powder up and see what it does.

Don't blow your stuff up after reading my post. I am not a reloading engineer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

Per 20X11's chart, I see even more proof that the best ES's don't always produce the best accuracy.

I think guys waste a lot of handloading components by chronographing loads prior to accuracy testing. You should know if it's a lighter or heavier load, without the chrono, via powder load level. To me the goal is to always have higher velocity, on a super-sonic load, as long as the accuracy is good. Then chrono the load for ballistic purposes.

It's too soon, with all the stuff going on, to burn up components.

As far as pressures go, some guys have reported going to 19 grains and higher, but I was getting flattened primers at 18.5, with both H110 and Lil Gun. Different primers and cases make a difference, and I was using Wolf SRMs.

My best accuracy was .92" at 17 gr. of H110. I wasn't crimping, so I'll have to try that a bit. Also, my OAL for those was 2.20", and I need to drop it to the recommended 2.085".
Last edited by darr3239 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

darr3239 wrote:Per 20X11's chart, I see even more proof that the best ES's don't always produce the best accuracy.

I think guys waste a lot of handloading components by chronographing loads prior to accuracy testing. You should know if it's a lighter or heavier load, without the chrono, via powder load level. To me the goal is to always have higher velocity, on a super-sonic load, as long as the accuracy is good. Then chrono the load for ballistic purposes.

It's too soon, with all the stuff going on, to burn up components.
But, burning up the components is where the fun is. I pay very minor attention to statistical things like ES and SD and a lot more attention to proper weapon function and accuracy.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

More trigger time does equate to "fun" time!

I do my best anymore to always have a set plan/goal for any shooting I do. Working on shooting skills, whether close quarter speed vs. accuracy, or long range applications, has to have a plan.

I think more people are thinking about what they are doing now, when they go out for a shooting session, since everything costs so much and availability is low. That can be a good thing, since setting goals increases skill, whereas blasting away usually doesn't. Productive practice doesn't have to involve a large amount of ammo.

Obviously, working up loads is a different animal. Different bullets and different powders require putting in the time. The longer it takes me to find a good load just makes me more anxious, since I'm not out doing "real" shooting. When it all comes together, with a particular application, then all goes good. Until, of course, another good bullet comes along, and the process repeats. :P
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

TAG TAG TAG
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

bring it out
NRA, Oathkeepers, USMC 75-79
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
bimbi40
Silent Operator

Post by bimbi40 »

i loaded 17.8 gr h110, with hornadys 125 gr sst, very accurate, penny size groups @ 100yards with my rem 700, they have them on wideners.com, very accurate
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

bimbi40 wrote:i loaded 17.8 gr h110, with hornadys 125 gr sst, very accurate, penny size groups @ 100yards with my rem 700, they have them on wideners.com, very accurate
17.8g W296, 2.168, 125g Hornady SST in my 300 blk with 16" Wilson match barrel. New rifle and I get 5 shot, 3/8" groups at 50 yards.
Luis_R.
Silent Operator

Post by Luis_R. »

Howdy,

Now that the deer tags have been filled, I may have to find some of the 125 SSTs.

My son took a nice 3 point mule deer buck (his first anything) with my 300 using 125 BTs and all three rounds he put into the animal had jacket separation. Found three jackets and 2 cores (both on the exit side just under the skin). The bullets worked, but the jacket separation makes me a little leery, not to mention his trigger control :lol:

Any way, the load is:
125 BT
20.5gr A1680
Win Nickel case 1.355"
CCI #400
C.O.L. - 2.100"
Vel. - 2150fps
0.75" @ 100yds

I'll post a pic soon.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.