General Load Data

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Reloader449

General Load Data

Post by Reloader449 »

First Post. I started gathering load data, band-sawed some .223 brass, and loaded some 150 grain rounds even before my Model 1 Sales upper arrived. I put the upper on my Del-Ton lower. On my second trip to an indoor range, I zeroed my remounted iron sights and SPARC optic with RightToBearAmmo (RTBA) 150 grain rounds. Also shot 150 grain Reloads, Remington 115 grain cheap stuff, and RTBA 225 grain subsonics. Neat, very fun. Even with such minimal experience with the caliber, the 115 grain factory loads all went through a hole the size of a quarter at 50 yds.

Since then I have been compiling further load data. I like the format of data as presented in the good ole Lyman manual, so my goal was to "jot down" all of the loads that I have in a spreadsheet file, mimicing the Lyman format. I've researched several sites and sources, and the file includes 10 different bullets and at least ten different powders.

Got a real problem in furthering this work myself though, in proving loads by shooting. The recent forest fires here in Colorado have caused bans on camp fires, fireworks, off-roading, smoking and discharge of firearms outdoors on public lands. Don't currently know shooters with private ranges. So I'm restricted to the indoor range, which means 100 yards or less, and no chronographs.

Anyone have a good outdoor range or place to shoot near Boulder, Colorado?

Reload data for 300 AAC Blackout listed in the following PDF includes many experimental and unproven loads. Not for beginners.

http://www.vigilanceaero.com/CustomRelo ... umbers.pdf

Screenshot of the load data spreadsheet graphics format:

Last edited by Reloader449 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rumph

Re: General Load Data

Post by Rumph »

Reloader449 wrote:Anyone have a good outdoor range or place to shoot near Boulder, Colorado?
Try Trigger Time Gun Club - Longmont. A good guy named Paul Gonzales runs it.
16" Wilson 1:7 with .106" gas port @ carbine length
Syrac adj. gas block
Std. wt. BCG, buffer & spring
UtopiaTexas
Silent Operator

Post by UtopiaTexas »

Great chart....Thanks...
Reloader449

Post by Reloader449 »

Rumph wrote:
Reloader449 wrote:Anyone have a good outdoor range or place to shoot near Boulder, Colorado?
Try Trigger Time Gun Club - Longmont. A good guy named Paul Gonzales runs it.
Thanks, but my wife and I have been charter members at TriggerTime since before they opened. That's the only place we have left right now to shoot. We took our favorite spot for granted for more than 15 years, up in the mountains near Gordon Gulch. No more shooting there, sadly.

And I believe that the gov't used the "crisis" of the fires to eclipse outdoor shooting on gov't "owned" property. A cynical view, perhaps ... ?

I may have to investigate "getting more" out of our TriggerTime membership. Perhaps there is a way to use a Chrono, and no one has asked about it or pressed the issue vigorously enough with Mr. Gonzales and the great staff there. Shooting reloads is allowed, but the shooting benches just aren't designed with chronos in mind.

I really want to use a chrono in development of the subsonic rounds.

Here in Colorado, 1,050 FPS is not subsonic. At more than a mile above Sea Level, we're gonna need something like 900 to 950 fps. That Gordon Gulch spot is at 8,800 feet above Sea Level. Would have been nice to discover the velocity requirement for subsonic at that altitude ... in February.

edit: The PDF file above, perhaps aka "The Missing Pages in the Lyman 49th Edition," is a work in progress. Perhaps reloaders can fill in the holes, such as for the IMR4227 powder, and I'll update the file. Man, they gotta get 300 BLK into the Lyman 50th Edition, don't you think?
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Really nice format, but some really important information is missing - weapon used? Barrel length? Gas system? Twist rate?

IIRC I am about +200' ASL, but my numbers are really pretty close to yours for 220 and 208.

Lotta work there pard, greatly appreciated.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

I can echo Maryland Shooters comments about rifle used, Barrel Length, barrel twist and gas system (if any). In addition, I have an observation and a suggestion. COAL's are very critical to the 300 BLK, and many of your listed MIN COAL's are actually MAX COAL's due to the pesky rib present in most AR15 mags used for 300 BLK application. Of course ribs don't matter if your single loading, or using a bolt gun or single shot. But Mags matter, and mags that feed well are essential to a 300 BLK built around an AR15 platform.

Then again, some folks amputate the ribs themselves, and others may choose to use Wilson/Lancer mags (developed for the 7.62x40mm) that are molded sans side ribs.

So in addition to the stuff listed in bold above, magazine make/type/capacity used, and whether they be ribbed or de-ribbed, should be noted.

Otherwise your presentation is outstanding. Thanks for sharing.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Wow, I'm a good bit over the max load on the TNT bullet using 19 gr of H110. I based my load from a load listed in the sierra book I think for another 130 grain bullet. I wish they listed the pressure for that max load?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George