Hodgdon Lil'Gun Load Data Only ***5 Best Loads Page 16*****

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hodgdon Lil'Gun Load Data Only ***5 Best Loads Page 16*

Post by certifiable »

edlaver wrote:Anybody have a load for Hornady 110 soft points?
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=84295
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

I have been using a load I like for the Sierra 220gr SMK that is very accurate but will only cycle the bolt suppressed:
My rifle is a Noveske 10" 300BLK
Pistol length gas system
10", 1:7
H2 Buffer

Hornady 300BLK Brass
CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer
8.6gr Hodgdon lilgun
2.120" OAL
Medium crimp on Lee FCD

I loaded up some roads today using the same OAL and 8.6gr of Lil Gun but I used Remington 7.5 primers instead of the CCI 400 I have used in the past. I was shooting suppressed and the bolt would not cycle and the only change was the primer. Obviously I am going to have to work up the load again with this primer to find the sweet spot but any ideas on why the Remington 7.5 primer caused this change?

I know the 7.5 primer is considered a magnum primer but I would have thought any issue might be too much pressure instead of it not cycling the bolt completely. Is a magnum primer causing all of the powder to not burn or something? I will figure out the right load with this primer but I was just curious for some insight as to why.
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

I cannot say about 300blk but I can say on 5.56x45 that I have loaded using the Remington primers I have lost over 100fps and sometimes substantially more. If I cant get my CCI's 400's or #41's I will buy another brand marketed for AR's before I will buy Remington brand.
Remington primers work great on my regular centerfire rifles, bolt, lever, singleshot but I have not had good results using them in the Semi Auto's I have owned. I even had issues with them in an Egyptian Hakim in 8x57 not getting the powder burnt. That is my experience.
NRA, Oathkeepers, USMC 75-79
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
edlaver

Post by edlaver »

certifiable wrote:

Thanks Certifiable
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

edlaver wrote:
certifiable wrote:

Thanks Certifiable
Your welcome
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have found the CCI 400 to be a hotter than the Rem 7.5. Loads that are safe with a Rem 7.5 in my guns are to hot with the CCI 400. Just MY experience. I thought the cup was just thinner in the CCI but then when I measuring the brass web the pressure was higher in the CCI primed loads. Could be the CCI lights the powder faster and a higher chamber pressure is the result. Just ME with MY guns and MY components.

The 300 BLK seems to be very sensitive to primer and seating depth. The most finicky cartridge I have ever reloaded. Best powder for me is LilGun but will not cycle subs in my carbine length gas sys. My Supers with Lil Gun are a LOT better than A1680. Much less ES. I prefer it to H110/W296 as LilGun flows/meters better and has a different high end pressure curve. H110/W296 seems to peak faster. LilGun is smoother at the high end loads. No hockey stick pressures. LilGun can shoot 125 TNT's faster with less pressure signs. To bad it's so hard to get. I have 6 lbs of 296 and only 1 lb left of LilGun. I would gladly trade all my 296 for LilGun in a heartbeat.

A1680 cycles the best but the ES stinks. I need to really try RL7 and 4198.. 5744 does not make enough gas for the AR in marginal cycling loads. A410 (Ihave none of this powder) might work too. I'm just not impressed with A1680 in the BLK due to it's wide ES. Cycling on the other hand it's the best so my AR loads are with A1680.

StorminNormin wrote:I have been using a load I like for the Sierra 220gr SMK that is very accurate but will only cycle the bolt suppressed:
My rifle is a Noveske 10" 300BLK
Pistol length gas system
10", 1:7
H2 Buffer

Hornady 300BLK Brass
CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer
8.6gr Hodgdon lilgun
2.120" OAL
Medium crimp on Lee FCD

I loaded up some roads today using the same OAL and 8.6gr of Lil Gun but I used Remington 7.5 primers instead of the CCI 400 I have used in the past. I was shooting suppressed and the bolt would not cycle and the only change was the primer. Obviously I am going to have to work up the load again with this primer to find the sweet spot but any ideas on why the Remington 7.5 primer caused this change?

I know the 7.5 primer is considered a magnum primer but I would have thought any issue might be too much pressure instead of it not cycling the bolt completely. Is a magnum primer causing all of the powder to not burn or something? I will figure out the right load with this primer but I was just curious for some insight as to why.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

JohnInNH wrote:I have found the CCI 400 to be a hotter than the Rem 7.5. Loads that are safe with a Rem 7.5 in my guns are to hot with the CCI 400. Just MY experience. I thought the cup was just thinner in the CCI but then when I measuring the brass web the pressure was higher in the CCI primed loads. Could be the CCI lights the powder faster and a higher chamber pressure is the result. Just ME with MY guns and MY components.

The 300 BLK seems to be very sensitive to primer and seating depth. The most finicky cartridge I have ever reloaded. Best powder for me is LilGun but will not cycle subs in my carbine length gas sys. My Supers with Lil Gun are a LOT better than A1680. Much less ES. I prefer it to H110/W296 as LilGun flows/meters better and has a different high end pressure curve. H110/W296 seems to peak faster. LilGun is smoother at the high end loads. No hockey stick pressures. LilGun can shoot 125 TNT's faster with less pressure signs. To bad it's so hard to get. I have 6 lbs of 296 and only 1 lb left of LilGun. I would gladly trade all my 296 for LilGun in a heartbeat.

A1680 cycles the best but the ES stinks. I need to really try RL7 and 4198.. 5744 does not make enough gas for the AR in marginal cycling loads. A410 (Ihave none of this powder) might work too. I'm just not impressed with A1680 in the BLK due to it's wide ES. Cycling on the other hand it's the best so my AR loads are with A1680.
I was really glad to read this, I had read some report where a person just raved on A1680. I had picked up a lb of Lil'Gun and started loading out of it. I discovered some great loads but am still experimenting. I have H110 that I use in my 45lc rifle and I loaded 10 130gr Hornady to test and had better results with the Lil'Gun. I went back to my LGS last week and picked up a 4lb Jug of Lil'Gun, I noticed that it was cheaper than H110, A1680 or 4227 so I am going to stay with it...As far as primers my primary is the #41 and after that it would have to be 400's but as I said earlier I have had great luck with Wolf and Tulamo!! :P :P :P
NRA, Oathkeepers, USMC 75-79
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

OK, so today I went out and tested the Sierra 220gr OTM loaded with different brass and primer combinations since I had a problem with my bolt cycling with new Hornady 300BLK brass and a Remington 7.5 primer. I think my gun was just very dirty and that was the cause of the no cycling because it cycled fine today. Below are the velocities I was getting from the different combinations.

With my gun, Lil' Gun will only cycle the bolt suppressed with this round. A1680 will cycle it suppressed or unsuppressed.
Noveske 300 BLK
10" barrel/ 1:7 twist
H2 Buffer

RAPR
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAPR »

I've been working up sub load in anticipation of getting my suppressor...one day.

With my 16" Noveske pistol gas
208 hornady AMax
COL 2.125"
7.8gr of lil gun

I was getting:
1050, 1033, 1068fps

This was easily staying subsonic, but what velocity increase would I have with the can attached? Should I worry about jumping up into supersonic, or will it be negligible? I don't want to load a ton of rounds, just to find out they turn supersonic with the suppressor. I would be pissed.
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

RAPR wrote: This was easily staying subsonic, but what velocity increase would I have with the can attached?
The difference with a suppressor will be negligible. On the 208gr A-Max I recently did a velocity comparison with my 10" Blackout with and without the suppressor. With the suppressor on I was getting an average velocity of 1074 and without the suppressor the average was 1059.

On the Sierra 220gr I also tested the velocity difference with a CCI 400 and Remington 7.5 primer with the same powder load. With the CCI 400 primer I was getting an average velocity of around 1068 and with a Remington 7.5 primer I was getting an average of 1110 or so.