need info on powders:help,help,help?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Don1955

need info on powders:help,help,help?

Post by Don1955 »

I have a cmmg factory upper flattop with the carbine length gas tube.
My question to the more experienced members here is this.
When using h110 in the 14-14.5 gr amounts do you in say 50 rounds find the bolt interface with the carrier so fould up it is diffucult to get the bolt to slide home?
I have a large supply of red tip and orange tip talon pull downs and I want to run them thru the blackout.
Blaster ammo if you will. I seem to be having problems with the gas system fouling up.
Suggestions anyone??
thx
agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Re: need info on powders:help,help,help?

Post by agBQ08 »

What weight bullets?

What are red and orange tip pulldowns?

Previous reloading experience?

Your loads sound a little light for even 150 grain bullets and certainly for bullets lighter than that. Pretty sure my 16 grain loads are on the light side by most standards. Since your loads are so light the case may not be expanding fully. Therefore there isn't a good seal in the chamber leading to lots of blow back that can foul your chamber and cause feeding issues.

300 BLK doesn't foul much for me. Long barrel lengths plus quick powders plus small charges lead to complete burns which is nice for keeping the fouling down.
Don1955

Post by Don1955 »

Hi
thx for the responce.
The red tip and orange tip are pull down tracers.
Red were the WW2 tracer loaded in 30-06, the orange have the cup closure on the bottom the red do not.
both were loaded in 30-06 ammo.
later on a duel crimp model appeared but they are not as common.
I loaded the 14.0-14.5 of H110 load as this cycles the gun fine and is easy on the brass.
I have found that with these long for weight tracers one has to watch for pressure signs more than normal.
These bullets in red form measure 1.435 in lenght and .575 of that is in the case. They are the longest bullets for thier weight I know of in .308 dia. As a result I have settled on 180 weight data to get in the ballpark for a load.
I have tried Bluedot but was blowing primers and still unable to get the bolt group to cycle.
Tonight I opened my last can of H4227 dated 1976 (price tag read $6.17 oh the good old days) and 14,14.5,15 cycled the bolt and the carrier assy. seem cleaner.
Sorry for the long rant I'm just not sure about H110 for these bullets, but having so many I need to find some clean burning powder that works with this gun and cart. combo.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

What primer are you using? My load with orange tips is 2.2" oal, Wolf KVB223M primers, 15.0gr H110.

Notes: I've not chronographed this load. No high pressure signs. I've not fired a bunch of these in a row, so I can't comment on how dirty it gets the bolt/carrier group. Perfect functioning of my Daniel Defense 16" rifle. I also tried 15.5gr and 16.0gr H110 with no problems, but decided on the lower charge to make it easier on the rifle.
Don1955

Post by Don1955 »

Hi all
As an update on my reloads with the WW2 red tip tracer bullets, I have switched to IMR4227 15.0 grs.
I fired 45 rounds and not one malfunction, and unlike H110 the bolt and carrier group were much much cleaner.
So much so that I will continue the test this sat at a FA shoot. I want to see what the round count will be when I start to have trouble.
thx for the help
Don
Don1955

Post by Don1955 »

Ran 200 rnds. thru the cmmg upper.
15.0 grs. IMR4227/WW2 Red Tip tracers loaded to the crimp grove.
Very,Very clean burning with almost no soot at all on the brass. BCG likewise was very clean.
No failure to feed or eject.