Resizing cast boolits

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BrownSunshine

Resizing cast boolits

Post by BrownSunshine »

Just got into the 300 blackout game. Got the upper almost finished (just need sights, flash hider, bcg, ch) but I wanted to start reloading now.

I was just wondering what you guys are resizing your cast bullets to. I know the 300 has a .308 bore so I was going to do a .309.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
BrownSunshine

Re: Resizing cast boolits

Post by BrownSunshine »

Anyone? I was wanting to order the last few tidbits so I could get some rounds ready
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Order 309" bullets if you can. I have a 308" sizer A 309" may have been a better choice. Either will do. Some feel 309 will yield less leading and more accuracy. I have shot 308" and 309" with no difference... The 307" bullets I got were a big problem as seating was a problem with loose bullets.

I have shot a LOT of subsonic cast bullets in my BLK. Only problem I have with the 200-210 gr is primers backing out after I load them. I need to re-seat the primers the day I shoot them. Again today.. I sorted 50 and one had backed out enough I could feel it, and 7-8 were backed out to just flush, but off the bottom of the primer pocket. (both factory Rem primed brass and my reloaded rem 7 1/2 primers)

I think this may be unique to long cast bullets as the lube makes a very good air seal keeping the pressure in the case high for a long time. So... Load then check a week or 2 later to see if the primers moved due to air pressure.

I am now using a 190 spire point in the bolt gun and seem to no longer have the problem. The 190 displaces much less volume in the case when seated . I am hoping the spire point being base heavy will flip faster in soft tissue. Makes a fun plinker too. I paid $.09 each I have 1300 left. Used up most of my 210's, but found a good 205 gr .30 from a local caster.

Just wondering if you are using a bolt of AR platform?

Welcome to the cast bullet BLK realm.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
rjrivero
Silent Operator

Post by rjrivero »

If you're BUYING cast bullets, they're generally already sized. If you're casting your own, you might want to size them.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

rjrivero wrote:If you're BUYING cast bullets, they're generally already sized. If you're casting your own, you might want to size them.
Some bullets come ready for gas checks but w/o them. The 358" Hunter bullets i buy are lubed and sized but no gas check. I add them.

But yes, most bullets i get are already sized and lubed and need nothing more before using.
BrownSunshine

Post by BrownSunshine »

Yes this is an AR platform and yes I will be casting my own.

Reason I want to go with a bigger sized bullet is because the Lee Mold is a 155 GR but .311 bullet (7.62x39).

This mold is one of the very few I can find that is not a flat nose so should feed easier in an AR platform. I was about ready to order right now and if I did I would be getting a .309 sizing die!
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

BrownSunshine wrote:Yes this is an AR platform and yes I will be casting my own.

Reason I want to go with a bigger sized bullet is because the Lee Mold is a 155 GR but .311 bullet (7.62x39).

This mold is one of the very few I can find that is not a flat nose so should feed easier in an AR platform. I was about ready to order right now and if I did I would be getting a .309 sizing die!

Cast bullets are not like Jacketed when it comes to DIA. The .311 is just right for a .308 bore. I shoot a 190 gr SPIRE POINT Gas Checked bullet in my BLK. I have 1500 of them. They feed flawlessly in the Micro7. They hit fairly hard. I load them to 1000 fps 5.2 gr of American Select.

They are sized to .309 per the mfg. .310 is what I would size them at If I was doing it. .002 over BORE dia. Groove is larger and is why .311 is just fine.

I was shooting mine at 100 yards today. The sound of the bullet is slick! My report is so quiet I hear the bullet fly. Love the bolt in a suppressed platform. Hard to beat.
Bambulance man
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bambulance man »

JohnInNH wrote:
BrownSunshine wrote:Yes this is an AR platform and yes I will be casting my own.

Cast bullets are not like Jacketed when it comes to DIA. The .311 is just right for a .308 bore. I shoot a 190 gr SPIRE POINT Gas Checked bullet in my BLK. I have 1500 of them. They feed flawlessly in the Micro7. They hit fairly hard. I load them to 1000 fps 5.2 gr of American Select.

They are sized to .309 per the mfg. .310 is what I would size them at If I was doing it. .002 over BORE dia. Groove is larger and is why .311 is just fine.

I was shooting mine at 100 yards today. The sound of the bullet is slick! My report is so quiet I hear the bullet fly. Love the bolt in a suppressed platform. Hard to beat.

John you do love you M7
"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty."-Benjamin Franklin

~ Bambulance Man Firefighter / E.M.T - B
Sparky45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Sparky45 »

JohnInNH wrote:

John; I have a Lyman cast(311291) 170gr with GC that actually casts @ .311 with 50/50 WW & Pure Lead that I plan to shoot in my 300 Blk. In your opinion is that a heavy enough bullet to run subsonic? What Pwd would you use?
Thanks
Sparky45
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Sparky45 wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:

John; I have a Lyman cast(311291) 170gr with GC that actually casts @ .311 with 50/50 WW & Pure Lead that I plan to shoot in my 300 Blk. In your opinion is that a heavy enough bullet to run subsonic? What Pwd would you use?
Thanks
Sparky45

170 gr apparently will not be enough weight to get the port pressure up enough to cycle an AR. In a bolt.. 231, American Select, Unique, all should work.. as I said earlier I have gone to American Select for all my cast bullet loads for my bolt gun.

I am hoping my AR upper (due in in 2 weeks) will work with 190's with a light buffer, Timminy trigger, and cut down flat wire spring by changing to A1680 powder. It may not. The Timminy trigger takes a LOT less energy to reset than a stock AR FCG.

I will go to a heaver bullet 210-230 (flat base gas check) But in a bolt.. I am having very nice results with the loads using American Select in weights 150-210.