H110 issues. Considering loading 4198 (found something else)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

45r
Silent But Deadly

Re: H110 issues. Considering loading 4198 (found something e

Post by 45r »

What kind of groups do you get with 1680.I've been using 18 grains 296 with the Hornady 130 soft points and getting 1 inch at 100.No problems.
If 1680 will shoot just as good I'll give it a try.A slower powder would probably be easier on the rifle.
mic2377

Post by mic2377 »

If your rifle won't run with a mid-range H110 load, there is something wrong with it. 1680 is slower than H110 and provides more gas port pressure, so it is a crutch for your rifle to function, which it should not need. Ask me how I know about this. I had a leaky gas block that caused one of my builds to run intermittently. I was chasing my tail and blaming all sort of stuff like powder, ammo, etc and it had nothing to do with it. Second, 1680 is not the best choice for maximum MV in lighter bullets.

H4198 is a suitable powder for 300 BLK, but I would consider it a candidate only for subs, too slow otherwise. I have successfully loaded subs with it, however, the load density is very poor and I cannot go very short on OAL due to powder compression. It would not run a carbine gas 16" barrel, although it does cycle my pistol-gas barrel. It is quieter than 1680.

As for Gunn ammo - I have been unhappy with the quality of their ammo. Failures to fire and poor reliability have been my experience. In addition, the COAL of loaded rounds and the length of the fired brass is all over the place, poor QC. Maybe they have improved since I first used their stuff in 2011.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I was thinking leaky gas block also but he said a Wilson was having the same issue.I read where someone had a similar problem when they switched to Lil gun on their handloads and after a lot of hassle they found streak marks from the gas block.
They thought maybe a hotter,faster powder made the leak show up where the slower powder worked with a small leak.
I've used Lil gun and 296 with no problems so something isn't right.The hornady 130SP has good penetration and a good bullet for hogs.
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

I use H110 for supers it is a clean powder and will run a healthy ar-15 with no issues. H110 runs as clean as anything can run in an ar gas system. What did H110 do to make the gun dirtier than other powders?