General Q's from BLK Newb.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

hydro556
Silent Operator

General Q's from BLK Newb.

Post by hydro556 »

Hello gents. I am anxiously awaiting the (Simply wrong) NFA process to run its course. I am SBR'ing a lower (my first, and I blame it on the interesting-ness of the 300blk) and have a 762SDN-6 being transferred to my dealer so I can start the same (ridiculous) process on it. Have a couple general questions pertaining to reloading for this new, to me, cartridge. I am sure I will hit on something that is duplicated a lot, but hope you can indulge me.

I have an 8" Novekse Lo-Pro, with 7" NSR rail on the way. From what I understand it will likely be a 7 twist, as they are switching over from 8 twist. Either should be fine. I am stocking up on reloading supplies. I have 800 1x LC cases reformed to Blk. I have 500 220SMK's and various projos I used for precision bolt guns in 308. Well stocked on small rifle primers and I bought a new set of Redding precision dies.

My goal is to load rounds for a variety of purposes, from deer and coyote hunting to precision rounds that will push this cartridges limits from my carbine and with my abilities. My favorite type of shooting is precision. In this setup that will likely be pushing subsonic 220's as far as I can shoot them MOA or maybe a little better. It would be awesome to be able to shoot MOA with subs out to 250 or beyond.

I need to start trying to stocking up on powders and wonder what you guys have found to work best for both hunting with supers, and precision with subs (not an oxymoron, I hope). Is anyone here trying to push the subsonic heavies to 250-300 here? What have you found successful?

Lastly. Crimping. 99% of my loading has been precision 155's and 175's for 308 bolt guns and some 5.56 plinking and precision rounds. I have loaded a little handgun ammo, but not much. And I have never learned to crimp properly. I know it aint rocket surgery, but I am curious if I should be concerned about this.

Are most of you crimping your BLK rounds? All of them? Just supers? Subs? Precision rounds?

I have the Redding 3 die precision set of dies, and believe I can crimp with them. Just trying to figure if I should be focused on this?

Thanks guys.
DarkSoul
Silent Operator

Re: General Q's from BLK Newb.

Post by DarkSoul »

I think trying to get MOA at over 150 yds with subsonic rounds out of an 8" barrel and that heavy a slug is gonna be tough, I don't even try to get that with supersonic rounds with 147g slugs out of a 16" barrel, although I know it's possible with this combo. If I am looking for accuracy and range, I just go back to 55g or 62g in a 5.56 .

Crimping with the Redding dies is easy, just adjust the crimping die per the instructions.

I will say, that if you are forming your own 300 brass from .233 / 5.56, and using the Redding dies, you will have a problem neck sizing. At least the Redding die I have, the neck sizing die ball portion of the die is designed for existing 300 brass. The knurled bit that holds the de-priming pin at the end of the sizing ball is basically the same size as the pre-expanded neck, so it grinds away, and will actaully basically file away at the inside of the neck, and sometimes actually crumple the case. I purchased a Lee sizing die for converted brass.

-Edit-

After a little more reading, it would appear that some are getting pretty decent groups out to 300 yards, I have no personal experience at that range, I rarely shoot more than 100, so I will assume that you can get some good accuracy out to 200+ , but seems like most are don't so with supersonic rounds.
hydro556
Silent Operator

Post by hydro556 »

I think trying to get MOA at over 150 yds with subsonic rounds out of an 8" barrel and that heavy a slug is gonna be tough, I don't even try to get that with supersonic rounds with 147g slugs out of a 16" barrel, although I know it's possible with this combo. If I am looking for accuracy and range, I just go back to 55g or 62g in a 5.56 .
DarkSoul wrote:I enjoy trying to wring out the best groups from a given carbine/cartridge combo, and with quality equipment and good loads, I think this combo will surprise some of us

Crimping with the Redding dies is easy, just adjust the crimping die per the instructions. Excellent thanks. So, is it pretty much a consensus that crimping is required with the BLK?

I will say, that if you are forming your own 300 brass from .233 / 5.56, and using the Redding dies, you will have a problem neck sizing. At least the Redding die I have, the neck sizing die ball portion of the die is designed for existing 300 brass. The knurled bit that holds the de-priming pin at the end of the sizing ball is basically the same size as the pre-expanded neck, so it grinds away, and will actaully basically file away at the inside of the neck, and sometimes actually crumple the case. I purchased a Lee sizing die for converted brass. Hmm, well crap. I am using reformed 5.56 LC 1x brass from the fellow that sells it on the boards here. Unless there is some reason I shouldnt, I usually full length size, but I suppose this would still be a problem? I was hoping since I bought the best die set available in my opinion, I assumed I'd be good to go. I wasnt wanting to buy any more dies, but will if I have to.

-Edit-

After a little more reading, it would appear that some are getting pretty decent groups out to 300 yards, I have no personal experience at that range, I rarely shoot more than 100, so I will assume that you can get some good accuracy out to 200+ , but seems like most are don't so with supersonic rounds.
Yes, I have done some reading about it as well, and think with a Noveske barrel and good loads I will be able to have a ball shooting relatively small groups well beyond 200 yards. Hopefully exceptionally good groups with supersonics, even more so as superior projectiles are introduced.
DarkSoul
Silent Operator

Post by DarkSoul »

Double check your die set in regards to the neck expander ball. My Redding die has issues on cut down .223 / 5.56 but I suppose it's possible that there are different dies, I know Redding offers like a competition, and a standard die set. I would hate for you to buy another, and not need it.
hydro556
Silent Operator

Post by hydro556 »

DarkSoul wrote:Double check your die set in regards to the neck expander ball. My Redding die has issues on cut down .223 / 5.56 but I suppose it's possible that there are different dies, I know Redding offers like a competition, and a standard die set. I would hate for you to buy another, and not need it.
Mine is the Redding 300 ACC BLACKOUT
NATIONAL MATCH DIE SET
(39327)

SERIES-SPL

I assume it is a typo on the decal on the end of the box, but it does read 300ACC BLACKOUT, not AAC BLACKOUT, LOL.

ETA- I also am using cutdown 5.56 brass, mfg is LC, and I am buying them here on the boards from member "Wildcat". Obviously, I havent loaded any yet as I am awaiting my upper, but the brass looks good and appears pretty uniform from the few I have mic'd.