Subsonic Bullet weight floor for 9" AR's?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

spiderthewebguy

Subsonic Bullet weight floor for 9" AR's?

Post by spiderthewebguy »

For those of us running 1-8 twist 9" barrels, what is the lightest bullet weight that will cycle most AR-15's in this configuration?

The actual question is, what is the cheapest subsonic load I can produce that will cycle my AR? My presumption is that, more often than not, heavier projectiles cost more. There is already a 'cheapest' load thread, but I didn't find one specifically about cheap, subsonic loads.

Does anyone have data on the floor weight for a subsonic projectile, and recommended powder loads?

*Note: This would be a suppressed rifle, but I know backpressure from suppressors varies widely by make and model.
morris
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic Bullet weight floor for 9" AR's?

Post by morris »

I have used 208 gr but I have read of people trying 147 gr
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

I've run 208's through my 16" set up suppressed.
Have not tried running them unsuppressed yet, but they were flawless this weekend with the can on.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
dbrown
Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

[quote="BuckySWT"]I've run 208's through my 16" set up suppressed.
Have not tried running them unsuppressed yet, but they were flawless this weekend with the can on.[/quote]

The 208 will run in my 9" suppressed and unsuppressed. However, unsuppressed the bolt will not always lock back after firing the last round.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

extremely dependant on your powder choice and gas port size.
spiderthewebguy

Post by spiderthewebguy »

In my case, the gas port is CMMG's from-factory configuration for pistol-gas.

Does anybody have 9" specific, low-cost subsonic loads they'd care to share? We have a load thread, but it would be nice to have a dedicated subsonic-that-cycles thread, including cost per round based on components.
bp_968
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bp_968 »

spiderthewebguy wrote:In my case, the gas port is CMMG's from-factory configuration for pistol-gas.

Does anybody have 9" specific, low-cost subsonic loads they'd care to share? We have a load thread, but it would be nice to have a dedicated subsonic-that-cycles thread, including cost per round based on components.

Its more then just port placement and barrel length. Make is important too. What works on a cmmg isn't going to work on a noveske.

Some people have no problem with 175gr subs. So far with lilgun it hasn't worked for me. Ive seen 2 other 175gr loads one A1680 and one 4895 and ill try both soon.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
bp_968
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bp_968 »

bp_968 wrote:
spiderthewebguy wrote:In my case, the gas port is CMMG's from-factory configuration for pistol-gas.

Its more then just port placement and barrel length. Make is important too. What works on a cmmg isn't going to work on a noveske.

Some people have no problem with 175gr subs. So far with lilgun it hasn't worked for me. Ive seen 2 other 175gr loads one A1680 and one 4895 and ill try both soon.
Now that I have a metric ton of 220gr projectiles ill be sticking with those for subs.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
Cotys

Post by Cotys »

I have shot Hornady 110 grain and 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips with no feed problems. It was from an 8" Noveske 1:8 and a GemTech HVT suppressor.

Loads:
Nosler 125 grain BT
17.5 gr Lil' Gun
COL 2.050
Chrono Avg - 2239 fps
Rem 7 1/2 primers

Hornady 110 gr
H110 20 grains
COL - 2.040
Rem 7 1/2 primers
Chrono Avg - 2819 fps
Point of Impact was 18" high and 18" right at 150 yards (compared to zero at 50 yards for sub-sonic loads)