Sierra 125 gr OTM

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

nvshooter
Silent Operator

Re: Sierra 125 gr OTM

Post by nvshooter »

Nice its amazing how from gun to gun it can be so much diff thats 2.5gr more than mine, but your barrel is twice as long also do you crimp? Also 19.5 seems like a really hot load the most i could find of any one using it was 18.8 the hottest i tested was 18.2gr but i didnt see any signs of over pressure at that, my gun seemed to like the lighter loads with both powders i tested, the more the charge the less accurate with both. im interested to see the fps on mine with such a short barrel and a light load.

Also at the loaded COL and COL to ogive they were rubbing the rib in my p mag but they all fed flawlessly not a single issue with anyone of the loads tested.
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

Anyone know of anyplace besides midway that is selling these 125 otm by the 500? About to order a 1,000 and midway ususally isnt the cheapest option but i cant seem to find anywhere else that sells them in the 100 or 500
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

Well went back out today and ran 3 more runs of the top three with all the same data as before all the groups sizes are out of a average of 4 3 shot groups with the best and worst listed. The very last time i shot the h110 it didnt hold the bolt back on an empty mag but besides that nothing has had any problems feeding or cycling.

H110 17gr avg .586
Best .500
worst .648

Lil Gun 17gr avg .538
best .287
worst .803

If the weather is nice tommrow gonna go back out with those 2 and shoot 3 3 shot groups of each at 100yd then shoot 2 5 shot groups of each at 50yd and 100yd. After that the winner takes all :lol: Ill post the velocitys after that. Got baby due in 2 weeks so im trying to rush and get it all done ha. Im really happy with the results so far though just went ahead and ordered 1,000 sierra 125 otm from midway.
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

Well finally got out to finish testing my loads today. Got to run some 100 yard tests with with 3 and 5 shot groups and it made a big difference. H110 and lil gun were both shooting almost the same size groups at 50 and still do with 5 shot goups but the h110 really opend up at 100. Im going to go with the lilgun load so here is all the offical data and group sizes all said and done. This is all shot through a 8" noveske barrel.

Sierra 125gr OTM
17gr LILGun
CCI 400
Crimped 1/2 turn on a lee factory crimp die
Lake City 1x from all weather arms Uniformed
COAL 2.230
COAL to ogive 1.516

3 shot group 50yds Average 4 runs .539
3 Shot group 100yds Average of 3 runs .794
5 Shot group 50yds Average of 3 runs .652
5 Shot group 100yds Average of 3 runs 1.300

Every round feed and cycled great and it locked the bolt back on an empty mag everytime without fail. I ran 1 5 shot string over a chrono the this last weekend but it was really over cast and the numbers were all over the place but from that 1 string it was 1899fps but im gonna go back out when i can get better reads and do 5 5 shot strings and ill post the real numbers i get then.

Sorry for all the posts if no one is interested just figured i would add my load to the mix of whats out there, its definatly the lightest load ive seen posted on here or anywhere, but works great and im very happy with the accuracy. I didnt expect that out of an 8" barrel buti really didnt know what to expect not sure if thats good or not :lol:
native

Post by native »

Thanks for the post nvshooter
The cartridge is new enough for most that the more info the better. If no one is interested they can certainly keep moving. We all garner information from posts that we seldom respond to and your taking the work and time only helps the rest to come.
I have a 8" noveske and just got in some 125 OTM's if I can just get some bench time.
I have H110 I was going to do most of my work with on these but your post says I'll be getting some LILGun to work with also...appreciate the info.
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

Thanks man. Yea the h110 was good at 50 but was about 1/2" bigger groups at 100. Being you gonna use this bullet with a 8" Noveske I'm really interested to see how it turns out for you. Interested to see if yours likes the lighter load also. Most other loads I've seen people doing are around 18.4 gr there's one guy on here using something like 19.5 which seems waaay hot but seems to be working. But your right every lil but of information helps since there's no official data

It really amazes me that Sierra would put these out without any data to go with being there tailor made for 300blk not just any .308 u would think they would have some data from developing the bullet. I called them and they had no info to give.
Cotys

Post by Cotys »

The Hodgdon web site lists several 300 BLK loads including the Sierra 125. I loaded 50 and shot them this past weekend. I spent most of my time with 220 grain Sierra loads. Hodgdon recommends COL of 2.050 for the 125 Nosler.

Leupold recommends sighting in at 50 yards with the 220 grainers and then you should be close at 200 yards. I only had 150 yards to shoot, but was on paper. It looked like I might be a little low at 200 but it will take some trigger time to be sure. All function well with a Gemtech NVT suppressor.

One surprising thing for me, out of an 8" Noveske, all the loads were faster than advertised. I've read that may be due to lack of friction in a short barrel.

My load was:

17.5 Lil' Gun
125 Sierra BT
Remington 7 1/2 primers
LC brass from Brad's
COL 2.050

Chronograph
Average 2239 with 17.5 Lil’ Gun

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

Unless I'm missing it they don't have data for the Sierra 125 otm they have it for the 125 nosler btip. Which is at least a good starting point.

I'm surprised your getting 2239 fps with em I'm only getting around 1900 with .5 gr less in my load and a cci primer. My chrono might have been off though it was a crapy day and I was in a rush didn't get the best set up. Im interested to see what it says under better chrongraphing weather conditions ha
Cotys

Post by Cotys »

You are right, I had btip on my brain.

The chrony numbers surprised me. I'm using a Chrony Beta. It was a sunny / partly cloudy day. I shot Hornady 110 gr, 125 gr and 220 MKs, all were higher speeds than I expected. My 220s were averaging 1080. I had great hopes for the 110's, but they shot way right of the 125s and 220s. It took 2.5 MOA to center them at 150 yards.

I'll test with the Chrony again next chance I get.
ipittythefoo

Post by ipittythefoo »

Are the Sierra 125 gr OTM the same as the 125 GR Spitzer? If not what's a good over all length for the Sierra 125 gr Pro-hunter?