Email RCBS and ask for 300 Blk dies

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

nvshooter
Silent Operator

Re: Email RCBS and ask for 300 Blk dies

Post by nvshooter »

I've always used rcbs dies but didn't wanna wait the month to get them so I went with the hornady dies so far I'm really likeing them. I did the same thing with switching all my rcbs dies over to the horandy lock ring and it got expensive so it's nice they come with it. It'll def be a hard choice next time I need to purchase dies

I exclusively use the lee factory crimp die for crimping think it far superior to other types of crimping systems
smac61

Post by smac61 »

Ordered mine this morning. $63.63 shipped to the door.

p/n 22407 (small base)
ocphy wrote:Emailed RCBS today got the following reply this morning

We are now making the 300 ACC Blackout dies. Please call our Customer Service to order. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!

Thank you,

Technical Services/ap
ATK/RCBS Operation
(800) 533-5000

Customer Service Hours:
Monday-Thursday 6:30am to 3:30pm
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

63$. Good lord last time I bought rcbs dies they were under 30. And it's only been maybe 11/2 to 2 years
smac61

Post by smac61 »

nvshooter wrote:63$. Good lord last time I bought rcbs dies they were under 30. And it's only been maybe 11/2 to 2 years
Keep in mind that includes almost $10 in shipping (ouch) and they'll be cheaper when they hit regular suppliers. The Rep on the phone even tried to find them at a few retailers for me knowing they'd be cheaper. Seeing as standard group A pricing is running $35ish at the usual sources, I know paid a premium to have them now. $10 mail in rebate helps...
nvshooter
Silent Operator

Post by nvshooter »

yea i know how it goes when you want it you want it. I paid 35 bucks once to have a lee factory crimp die made for 300saum even though there like 10 buck normally. Not sure if they make them now or not. I called rcbs no more than 2 weeks ago and they told me it would be a month till i could order them or i probably would have done the same thing. Kinda happy i didnt though im likeing the hornady dies and i never would have tried them if not for the siutation.
chase102798
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase102798 »

dbltapXD wrote:I had originally ordered the Lee Dies for the 300 BLK as well, just based on cost alone. It was my first set of Lee's, and it will likely be my last. One thing I did not like about them is that there is no locking nut on the seat die. I know a lot of people use them, and I'm sure the little rubber o-ring would hold the seat plug in place, but how much more would it cost to thread the stem further and add a locking nut? When I saw that the Hornady dies were available, and only 50-cents more per set than the Lee's, I ordered them, and I think they are well-made and a great value at the price.

Prior to this, I've only used Dillon and RCBS dies, and I would be willing to buy Hornady again just based on the quality that I can see in the product. I also like the Hornady compression locking rings better than the RCBS set screw type. As a matter of fact, I had already switched out all of the RCBS locking rings that I use on my single stage press for Hornady locking rings, so it's just an added bonus for these to already have them.

One additional note - when I ordered the Lee set, I also ordered the Factory Crimp Die, and I will be using it, so I'm not 'bashing' Lee or anything....just like the features for the money on the Hornady set.

And, I know this isn't the classifieds, but if anyone would like the set of Lee dies that I have (2 dies), I'd let them go for $30 shipped. They are in perfect condition...
I use the Lee dies for handgun calibers in the 4-die carbide sets. I had found the rubber o-ring lock nuts to be such a problem for me that I switched all my dies to hornady lock rings. 6 calibers x 4 lock rings each set = insane. I could have bought a couple more sets of hornady dies for the wasted money. I do agree that the Lee factory crimp die is gold.

I think that there is definitely an emotional component to brand choice. I try to stay objective about brands and I use various equipment from different brands because I see value to ingenuity in certain products from certain companies. I try to compare on a component by component basis instead of saying that brand 'X' makes everything the best. If you put a set of Lee, Hornady, and RCBS dies side by side I can't see how you couldn't choose the Hornady no matter what brand you swear by. Again, just MHO.
Darkstang
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Darkstang »

Just out of curiousity, what kinds of problem were the giving you? I hit them all with a wrench and never had one loosen up. I do not like the RCBS very much because with lots of use, the brass strips..

Thinking of going to a collet press that way the collets stay on the dies.

I also really like the Hornady dies. I really like their micrometer seating dies....A LOT!
Broncman
Gearhead and Powder Burner
chase102798
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase102798 »

Darkstang wrote:Just out of curiousity, what kinds of problem were the giving you? I hit them all with a wrench and never had one loosen up. I do not like the RCBS very much because with lots of use, the brass strips..

Thinking of going to a collet press that way the collets stay on the dies.

I also really like the Hornady dies. I really like their micrometer seating dies....A LOT!
I didn't like that you had to grasp the ring and the die body to remove them. I found it the process unnecessarily fragile upon removal. Once the hornady or similar rings are tight to the die body, I usually just give the die body a quick twist to break them loose to remove them. I had, on occasion, tried that with the lee dies and found that I could turn the die body inside the lock ring while still in the press. The o-ring, to me, was a less than accurate way to "bottom out" the die on the top of the press. Most of the time this wasn't an issue with handgun dies but when I was really picky about seating depth with rifle rounds I didn't like that I could tighten the die and compress the o-ring a little more or less each time I inserted the die, depending on turning pressure. Being able to turn the lock ring on the die body when you are handling the die outside of the press didn't sit well with me either. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I can't see why you wouldn't use a standard compression style ring like the hornady dies. They could even be aluminum like the Lee dies but just add the screw, again IMHO.
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

Got my set yesterday. Resized some once-fired 300 BLK cases last night and resized some cut-down 5.56mm cases. No issues so far. Without cleaning the resizing lube off the cases, they seemed to drop right into the chamber on my DCA barrel.

Going to try to trim the 5.56mm cases today and pick up some powder to start some loads with pulled M80 projos and (maybe) some subs with 220gr SMKs.
ErikO

Post by ErikO »

Yep, I got bit by 'new-guy-itis' and emailed RCBS tech before finishing this thread...

Ah well.

Anyone that has the Lee set that doesn't want them I'd be willing to buy them from you. :)