New to loading, simple question.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to loading, simple question.

Post by C2_Drew »

Thanks for the detailed post, NickelBrass. That info is very helpful.
Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

Kryckter- There is rarely a simple answer, as you'll see. Hehehe. Ask me how I found out.

Eeeenteresting, NickelBrass.. 8)

..Took some Factory Rem subs and tried your measurement with "The Nut". Mine has a .257 hole in it, which actually measures .246 to .236 outer to inner. So the holes in The Nut are tapered by about .010"(another reason to only use other's ComparatorOAL for reference. I'd bet they're not all made exactly the same). Don't know how that figures in this just yet with the larger diameter .308 bullets going in that smaller hole and with a different profile, but also decided to try locking the calipers in at .250 for a shot at it with the outer blade edges for some resemblance of accuracy. The top of the relatively wide mark the Nut hole made was where the calipers stopped for the .250" diameter. Around 1.740ish from the base of the case.
Took another cartridge and just used the calipers to mark the bullet. Best as I can tell it's right around 1.750ish from brass base to that mark.

In these PMags (see pic link below) it looks like the part of the bullet we're discussing is actually above the top of the rib when next in line. Which is where I'd think it mattered most. Hard to say. But there's a definite right cant to the cartridges, that reverses to the other side when the top round is stripped. Is that enough to worry about.? Again, hard to say..

Rem Subs in a PMag

..Conclusion.. I don't know right off. But if I have feed problems with my loads I may look to that for something to try. I can't imagine Remington would take the seating depth of that many cartridges very lightly, so I'd be curious to hear the real reasoning behind the final conclusion there (Robert?). I'm sure it was some sort of compromise between proper mag fit, function and having to have universal application with a .308 cal bullet. And I won't go there cause I know where it ends up. Bottom line is if it works for you, it works. Shoot and enjoy.!! Enough gas outta me for now.. :mrgreen: d:^) Schneeks..

Disclaimer- All these measurements were taken free hand by some old half blind cat at a computer desk with a rickety set of well-used calipers. So they ain't exactly exact, ya know.? YMMV!!!
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig?
NickelBrass
Silent Operator

Post by NickelBrass »

Yes, I forgot that he had calipers. Yes, they locked to a setting of .250" would let you slide the bullet between the blades and scribe a thin line around the bullet right at the .250" mark.