Are my subsonic loads too low in MV?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

projo198

Are my subsonic loads too low in MV?

Post by projo198 »

I loaded my first subsonics this weekend and shot them through my chrono yesterday.

I did 4 laod increments starting with what Allian Powder prescribes for subsonics, and then what AAC recommends. These were fired through a 9" 1:7 twist barrel with a 1:7 twist with a pistol length gas system with a YHM Phantom supressor and using 220g Nosler Partitions and A1680 powder. All rounds fully cycled.

LOT 1: 10.9g powder = avg. Mv. 885.45

LOT 2: 11.0g powder = avg. Mv. 854.9

LOT 3: 11.1g powder = avg. Mv. unknown (all 5 shots were error through chronograph).

LOT 4: 11.2g powder = avg. Mv. 893.3

My question is this; from this site and others I have noticed most people reporting much higher fps with similar rifles and loads, well over 1,000 fps. Is this normal?
Last edited by projo198 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are my subsonic loads too low in MV?

Post by gds »

I would add some powder.

Best to get it as close to 1000fps as possible.

A lot of that will depend on your OAL.

It has been a while since I used the 220smk, but as I recall I was using less powder then you but had a short OAL, and had 980fps as I recall out of a 16 inch barrel
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

That is low. I use 10.6 gn of A1680 with 208gn Amax and get Avg of 1035fps. With 220gn you need to start with 11.4 gn of A1680 and adjust accordingly.
projo198

Post by projo198 »

Sorry I should have listed my OAL, mine were 2.120 (AAC recommendation). Plenty of room to shorten them if needed, even with those monster 220s I was well short of making compressed loads.

More powder? I thought the goal was to load as light as possible and still cycle?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

projo198 wrote:Sorry I should have listed my OAL, mine were 2.120 (AAC recommendation). Plenty of room to shorten them if needed, even with those monster 220s I was well short of making compressed loads.

More powder? I thought the goal was to load as light as possible and still cycle?
yes but if you are only getting under 900fps, out of a 9 inch barrel, you want to add more powder to get more velocity. I would not touch your OAL based on my knowledge. the only other option is add more powder to get closer to 1000fps

That same load in a 16 inch would be 80 to 100fps faster so take that into consideration also.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
projo198

Post by projo198 »

gds wrote:
projo198 wrote:Sorry I should have listed my OAL, mine were 2.120 (AAC recommendation). Plenty of room to shorten them if needed, even with those monster 220s I was well short of making compressed loads.

yes but if you are only getting under 900fps, out of a 9 inch barrel, you want to add more powder to get more velocity. I would not touch your OAL based on my knowledge. the only other option is add more powder to get closer to 1000fps

That same load in a 16 inch would be 80 to 100fps faster so take that into consideration also.

Ok, I will check into this. Though I wasn't measuring noise these round were a little louder than I want them to be, To be honest I didn't notice much of a difference between these and the supersonics I load when fired through the suppressor.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I would try to get 1000 fps but I try to avoid more than 1000 fps.

Maybe it is super cold where you are?
projo198

Post by projo198 »

300Blk wrote:I would try to get 1000 fps but I try to avoid more than 1000 fps.

It was in the teens yesterday, might be a factor.

One question though; I thought the goal for quiet subs through a suppressor was to get as low a MV as you could and still cycle? If this is true shouldn't I be trying lighter loads instead of trying to get up to 1,000 fps?
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

projo198 wrote:

One question though; I thought the goal for quiet subs through a suppressor was to get as low a MV as you could and still cycle? If this is true shouldn't I be trying lighter loads instead of trying to get up to 1,000 fps?
The goal is to have the bullet remain below the speed of sound and still function the gun. Anything LOWER then that just reduces the effectiveness of the bullet. Both from a terminal ballistics AND a trajectory standpoint.

I go for loads that run about 1000 in the summer here. That gives me a little wiggle room for those COLD Colorado winters
projo198

Post by projo198 »

Sharkbite wrote:
projo198 wrote:

The goal is to have the bullet remain below the speed of sound and still function the gun. Anything LOWER then that just reduces the effectiveness of the bullet. Both from a terminal ballistics AND a trajectory standpoint.

I go for loads that run about 1000 in the summer here. That gives me a little wiggle room for those COLD Colorado winters
Oh ok, gotcha. Sorry I am new to reloading subsonic.

So basically with the speed of sound being approx. 1100fps (temperature and altitude dependent) I have successfully created subsonic ammo, correct? So now I am being told that to decrease my powder loads won't do much to quiet them down, to do so would just be affecting accuracy?

I suppose I was just expecting them to be more quiet, but next time I will either find a way to measure DcB or shoot supersonics as well for comparison.

EDIT: Also failed to correctly list the powder loads in my first post. The 4 loads go up by .1g powder increments. It's fixed now.