Rounds failing to extract?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Mayday671

Rounds failing to extract?

Post by Mayday671 »

Ok Im having some trouble with a few rounds failing to extract. Extracter is fine, factory ammo runs fine, and my reloaded cases are to exact specs of factory. I have to be overlooking something because this ammo functioned flawlessly last summer but now I am having 3-4 per mag failing to extract. round fires, bolt goes to the rear but the spent casing stays in chamber, then the bolt tries to load the next round. I then drop the mag, lock the bolt to the rear, shake new round out, release the bolt, pull the charging handle and the spent case extracts. Any ideas welcome.
Darkstang
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Rounds failing to extract?

Post by Darkstang »

Whats your reload? Sounds like a light load.....
Broncman
Gearhead and Powder Burner
tbram88
Silent Operator

Post by tbram88 »

Mayday671 wrote: pull the charging handle and the spent case extracts. Any ideas welcome.
Do they come out easily or do they drag? It seems they would be have to be tight for the extractor to let go of it.

How do your hand loads compare to factory ammo in outside diameter at the base and right below the shoulder?

All the best...Bob.
Mayday671

Post by Mayday671 »

tbram88 wrote:
Mayday671 wrote: pull the charging handle and the spent case extracts. Any ideas welcome.
Do they come out easily or do they drag? It seems they would be have to be tight for the extractor to let go of it.

How do your hand loads compare to factory ammo in outside diameter at the base and right below the shoulder?

All the best...Bob.

The specs on my cases are exactly that of the factory. Im assuming the extractor is either weak or the rounds are overpressured but primers are still seated and the factory extract 100%. Definately not light loads, weapon cycles fine but simply doesn't extract every round. Back to the drawing board and Ill be receiving my fail safe bolt and carrier this week.
Darkstang
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Darkstang »

Have your cases been annealed? Some maybe to soft and swelling to lock in the chamber?
Let us know if you find anything.
Broncman
Gearhead and Powder Burner
Mayday671

Post by Mayday671 »

As an update I discarded the Reloader 7 and loaded 11.2gr 1680 with 225 Hornady's at 2.22 oal. All rounds fired flawlessly and averaged 1135 fps. Tried 10 more at 11.0gr 1680 and averaged 1112 fps, tried 10 more at 10.6 gr 1680 and averaged 1085 fps. I now have 10 loaded at 10.3gr and 10.0gr but it is too cloudy for the chronograph to work today. It appears I may be getting there however the weapon stopped cycling at 10.3 gr and I had to discard the hydraulic buffer and go back to a standard buffer.