Subsonic 147 gr. load?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: Subsonic 147 gr. load?

Post by JohnInNH »

Not sure A1680 is the right powder for light bullet subsonic loads. ...and none of them will cycle an AR.

I will work on a good subsonic load for my Micro7 bolt gun using 152 m2 ball bullets. (And a good supersonicload for them as well) A1680 at 21 gr was way to low pressure... primer backed out (brass did not setback) W296 may be a better powder for supers, and a faster powder may be needed for subs like 231

We will see...
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
agriebel
Silent Operator

Post by agriebel »

JohnInNH wrote: I have stopped loading ammo so i don't have to pull bad ammo apart.
Me too, I have loaded up about 50 rounds but that is about it. Pulling them apart would be no fun. If LMT doesn't come out with a 1 in 8 barrel at the shot show I am giving up on them and getting a Noveske or AAC barrel and just have a collar put on it.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

agriebel wrote:
JohnInNH wrote: I have stopped loading ammo so i don't have to pull bad ammo apart.
Me too, I have loaded up about 50 rounds but that is about it. Pulling them apart would be no fun...
No worries there. Anything that doesn't want to cycle gets shot in the Contender. :mrgreen:
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

youngsait wrote: I read that >210gr bullets will cycle in 300BLK.
Depends on a few things, such as your gas port position. I just loaded up some 180 gr. Hornaday SP's with Win 296 and they ran just fine. Unfortunately, it was really overcast today and the chronograph was having a hard time picking up the bullet as it passed the sensors. Of the 10 rounds I shot, I only got one reading, at 882 fps. All rounds were obviously subsonic though.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

I had asked that same question of 300blk and was told that it would not work. He said you need at least a 220 grain bullet to get it to cycle properly. The lighter bullets need too much velocity to get the bolt to cycle properly and then they are no longer subsonic.
Just goes to show he isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is. :roll:

I run nothing heavier than 200gr for the majority of my subsonics and they cycle both my 10" and 7" AR's no problem.

I have worked up loads for subsonic 147gr bullets using three different powders. I actually got a 147gr running at 850 fps that cycled the AR action fine. It isn't exactly difficult, it just requires choosing the right powder.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Suputin221 wrote: I actually got a 147gr running at 850 fps that cycled the AR action fine. It isn't exactly difficult, it just requires choosing the right powder.
Care to share which powder that was?
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

H322. The trick is not to use a faster powder but a slower powder to produce a longer gas pressure dwell time. The downside (because there is no free lunch) is that these are not the quietest loads.

I also used AA#5 but it is not as reliable and tends not to lock the bolt back on the last round even though it cycles OK.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Suputin221 wrote:H322. The trick is not to use a faster powder but a slower powder to produce a longer gas pressure dwell time...
I also used AA#5 but it is not as reliable and tends not to lock the bolt back on the last round even though it cycles OK.
Using a slower powder makes sense. But then you say you've used AA#5, which is a relatively fast powder.

I looked at the 300 Whisper loading data I got from SSK when I bought my Contender barrel several years ago and they even have a subsonic 220 gr. load listed using H335. So H322 isn't that far out there.

Care to share any load data you've worked up. Or at least a starting point? PM is okay if you don't want to publish it to the rest of the world.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Using a slower powder makes sense. But then you say you've used AA#5, which is a relatively fast powder.
True and the AA#5 didn't work as well so I no longer use it.
BELT_FED
Silent Operator

Post by BELT_FED »

I read on another forum that a guy was using 6.5grs of blue dot behind those bullets and they were cycling. I got some to try out of my encore but haven't got around to loading them yet.. I did try the aa#5 and it sucked donkey nuts for accuracy... big extreme spread on fps