Calling Dellet and other subsonic experts - N110 vs buffer spring

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Calling Dellet and other subsonic experts - N110 vs buffer spring

Post by DaedalusX »

So I've been struggling to find a load that is accurate (low ES and SD), quiet and cycles properly. Like most people here, I have no problems using A1680 but it's dirty, loud, meters poorly and gives high SD/ES.

My setup is as follow:

Lower: Vltor A5 stock with std action spring. A5H0 buffer (lightest available)

Upper: Noveske 10", factory gas port size (haven't mesured but I believe they're 0.98)

My sweet spot is between 8.0 and 8.3 gr N110 for accuracy and sound which avg 1000fps which is a very nice winter load with Lapua 200 fmjbt and Hornady 225 bthp.

Problem is I can't get it to reliably cycle, and at 8.0, I have to single load the rounds.

I was wondering what's the best course of action to help cycling these powders, I'd like to be able to run it with AA 9 or N105 without drilling the gas port.

Should I ditch the A5 and try a standard CAR buffer ... what about a JP SCS with lightweight spring ?

I'm also looking at a faxon lightweight bcg, would these also helps or would the lack of mass movement/inertia prevent it from cycling even more ?

Should I try to reduce the coal or increase to coal of my loads ?
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Calling Dellet and other subsonic experts - N110 vs buffer spring

Post by threehundred »

I am not Dellot, nor am I a subsonic expert 8) , but, I have fooled around and failed with
a few different bullets/powders in subsonic ranges and found that your Hornady 225 HPBT's
at 2.200 O.A.L. over 10.9 grains of A1680 gives me unfailing reliability in my
10.5 inch 1in8" twist pistol with clover leaf groups at 25 yds. from the bench
and 2 inch groups prone in the dirt at 100 yds.

In fact, I am so content with this subsonic load, I don't load anything else, period!

Your milage may differ! 8)

jmo

p.s. I forgot to include that I set my LEE Factory Crimp die at MAX CRIMP and
apply 50 PSI pressure TWICE (with a 180 degree twist between the two pressure crimps) when crimping these 225's. Yes, this MAX crimp deforms the bullet tremendously, but, resulting in excellent groups (imo), excellent operating pressure and no bullet setback of any kind!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

What are your lengths and are you running suppressed?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

N110 is not the best subsonic powder.

If all you shoot is jacketed I would SERIOUSLY look at Lil'Gun. It is the only powder I have found that gives me single digit SD numbers consistently. IMR 4227 is my go to powder because I shoot a lot of cast bullets.

I also have found that Blue Dot works really well in SBRs but they do go supersonic with longer barrels.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

Unsuppressed
Coal for 225 bthp is 2.20
Coal for Lapua 200 is 2.04
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Try some IMR 4227.
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

1680 meters poorly? What are you using as a powder drop? A cement mixer?
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

No suppressor? Once you get a suppressor, start over from the beginning.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

DaedalusX wrote:So I've been struggling to find a load that is accurate (low ES and SD), quiet and cycles properly. Like most people here, I have no problems using A1680 but it's dirty, loud, meters poorly and gives high SD/ES.

My setup is as follow:

Lower: Vltor A5 stock with std action spring. A5H0 buffer (lightest available)

Upper: Noveske 10", factory gas port size (haven't mesured but I believe they're 0.98)

My sweet spot is between 8.0 and 8.3 gr N110 for accuracy and sound which avg 1000fps which is a very nice winter load with Lapua 200 fmjbt and Hornady 225 bthp.

Problem is I can't get it to reliably cycle, and at 8.0, I have to single load the rounds.

I was wondering what's the best course of action to help cycling these powders, I'd like to be able to run it with AA 9 or N105 without drilling the gas port.

Should I ditch the A5 and try a standard CAR buffer ... what about a JP SCS with lightweight spring ?

I'm also looking at a faxon lightweight bcg, would these also helps or would the lack of mass movement/inertia prevent it from cycling even more ?

Should I try to reduce the coal or increase to coal of my loads ?
This might get you what you want. During the sub contest last summer, I played with shortening and lengthening coal with fairly dramatic results. I will say this is an exercise in futility without a chronograph to give feedback. I will assume you are using one since you stated a 1000 fps average.
You may find you can add more powder and still stay at 1000 with a bit more length, which will help facilitate cycling. I have only tried n120 but this method should work for n110.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Best course of action would be add a suppressor. You just won't have quiet without one.

Modifying the rife is another, but then you have a rifle built for a load, instead of multiple loads built for the rifle.

There are a couple things that you can try, moving the bullet out is one, adding powder is the other. You will probably end up doing both. If what you currently have was cycling and you just could not get the bolt to lock back just moving the bullet might work.

First you need a charge that will cycle the action, then you can fine tune it. I would jump up to 9- 8.7 grains and move the bullets out to 2.250". If it does not cycle there and it's over 1100, I would change powders if I was not willing to suppress the thing.

Not sure how cold your winter is but 1000 fps is good down to about -30. 1050fps is good to about 10.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.