Share your 300 Blackout Loads here>

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Share your 300 Blackout Loads here>

Post by 300Blk »

tmbg wrote:what's the max chamber pressure for blackout?
55,000 PSI as measured with SAAMI techniques.
NordicG3K
Silent But Deadly

Post by NordicG3K »

Two questions...

Has anyone used W296 in place of H110? I've already got some on hand and I'd like to limit the number of different powders I'm using.

Secondly, I'm seeing CCI 400 primers and Remington 7-1/2 primers being used. So magnum, or non-magnum?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

W296 and H110 are exactly the same.

Non-Magnum primers.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

NordicG3K wrote:Two questions...

Has anyone used W296 in place of H110? I've already got some on hand and I'd like to limit the number of different powders I'm using.

Secondly, I'm seeing CCI 400 primers and Remington 7-1/2 primers being used. So magnum, or non-magnum?
I use 296 with very good results. CCI 400 primers are all I have ever used for loading this round.....

Winchester 296 and Hodgens H110 are not exactly the same any more than 300 whisper and 300 blackout are the same " oh wait a minute" :mrgreen:
BLAKE2131

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Handloader magazine did a article about 296 and 110 they said that Hodgdon announced it was the same and they article was in one of the last 3 issues
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

i wouldn't say they are the same if they are made by different manufacturers they could change their recipe at any time ... I use the same load on my 357 .. so they are really close though ...do your own testing and make sure !!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
tmbg

Post by tmbg »

I had some odd trouble with mine this weekend...

It's a noveske 16" upper, standard weight buffer.

I made 80 rounds... 50 of them were 5-rd groups working up from 14.5 to 16.8 gr of H110, with hornady 150gr FMJ-BT on top.

Then I made 30 of 16.0gr H110 + 150gr just to have a magful of ammo to shoot.

Friday night after work when I got down to my buddy's place to shoot, it was too dark to do any chronographing, but I shot that magful of 16.0gr loads. They mostly worked great, cycling properly, stripping a round. I had one short-stroke that failed to strip a round, but only that one failure in 30.

Saturday I went back out with my workup, hoping to chrony. It was overcast and raining slightly, and work ran late and I didn't get to shoot until almost dusk. There wasn't enough light for my chrony to function, so I got zero velocity data.

Oddly, NONE of the rounds in that 50rd box would complete a cycle and strip a round. They all extracted and ejected, but most of them would short-stroke and not feed. One load, I think it was 15.7gr, would stovepipe the fresh round pretty consistently.

I didn't clean the weapon between friday and saturday night... possibly that is the issue, but I'd be surprised if 30 rounds was enough to cause it to fail.

All of the loads in that workup seemed light and none had obvious pressure signs.

I have another workup ready to go ranging from 17.0 to 18.5. Quickload is showing 18 and up as overpressure.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

How many rounds through the barrel total?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
tmbg

Post by tmbg »

those were the first 80, aside from whatever test-firing was done.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

That being the case, there is a possibility that the barrel began to break in to the point that resistance in the bore be lowered.
With the bore becoming slicker, the pressures would become lower and affect the BCG velocity accordingly.
Since the BCG velocity was on the bubble before, it wouldn't take much to tip the scales.
That could be the reason that they did function and then stopped.
(I'm assuming that you are not shooting this suppressed.)

That being said, your load appears to be a bit lite.
I know that you said quick load said 18 grains and up is over pressure, but everything I've seen has a charge weight ranging between 18-20 grains of H110 for a 110-150 grain bullet.
My experience with the Noveske barrel is that the gas port size is pretty well tuned and isn't overly large.
You may need to get closer to the pressures that the factory Remington ammo is running at.

Another thing to check is to make sure that your gas tube and gas key on the BCG are not binding at all.
That one will eat your lunch every time as well.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain