Load questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Super8mm

Load questions

Post by Super8mm »

I want to start reloading for my Anderson 300 BO, 16”, 1:8 and of course I have several questions. I am planning on getting a can and I can use on this and my .223 wylde and AR10 also.

I am looking at getting some Berry’s 220 grain bullets as if I hunt hogs I think I would like a heavier round so I want to practice with a weight I plan on hunting with. I know you need to keep the velocity below 1300 fps, is 1300 fps sub sonic?

I have read where some of the powders will leave more empty space in the load and it can change they power for cycling the action. What is the theory behind this?
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Re: Load questions

Post by dpete »

1300 fps is supersonic. Really slow supersonic but it is supersonic. Some folks toss around the 1050 fps number for being subsonic. I have 3 different subsonic loads for my AR, 200gr Maker, 220gr SMK, and 225gr Hornady, the sweet spot for accuracy with all three was in the 970-980 fps range.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks dpete, when I get my powder sorted out I can use QuickLoad to get the load in that range for starters.
30plinker

Post by 30plinker »

Speed of sound is dependent on air density which is mostly affected by air temperature.

The National Weather Service has a handy online calculator - https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_speedofsound

On a lovely spring day at 72f the SoS is 1130fps... at 32f it is 1086 and some decimals...

EDIT - when doing load development for subs be sure to test on paper at close range to ensure bullet stability before putting a can on the gun.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks for the information and link, that is a great calculator.
30plinker

Post by 30plinker »

Super8mm wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm Thanks for the information and link, that is a great calculator.
Yeah, NWS is one of the few things the government provides that isn't a total screw over to us :)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The Berry’s Bullets are limited to 1300 fps, due to construction. Apparently they just can’t handle the speed. I have only shot a few that were given to me, and I don’t know of anyone who has ran up the velocity to see what happens. That is a common warning with plated bullets.

1050 is basically an industry standard “sub sonic velocity”. It won’t crack in most normal shooting conditions.

dpete has nailed accuracy loads below 1000 fps for a reason. It’s truly subsonic.

950-1350 is trans sonic. There may not be a crack at those speeds, but the air turbulence created by the bullet is hard on a lot of bullet shapes. That’s why air gunners stay below 950 fps and long range shooters try to hit the target above 1350.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks dellet, that sounds like some good info to follow.