Got some reloads in trade, do I have to resize case after pulling bullets?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Got some reloads in trade, do I have to resize case after pulling bullets?

Post by bangbangping »

JMC8 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:50 pm I would think A1680 would be indiscernible from any other powder behind a can.
With a short barrel the difference can be huge. On a 16" not so much but still noticeable. It's simply a function of pressure at the muzzle. Something like Bullseye will have about half the muzzle pressure of 1680 at the same velocity. Additionally, while the faster powder will be 100% burned, nearly 40% of the 1680 is unburned as the bullet exits the barrel. With a bolt gun you have options.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Got some reloads in trade, do I have to resize case after pulling bullets?

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:54 am
JMC8 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:50 pm I would think A1680 would be indiscernible from any other powder behind a can.
With a short barrel the difference can be huge. On a 16" not so much but still noticeable. It's simply a function of pressure at the muzzle. Something like Bullseye will have about half the muzzle pressure of 1680 at the same velocity. Additionally, while the faster powder will be 100% burned, nearly 40% of the 1680 is unburned as the bullet exits the barrel. With a bolt gun you have options.
I actually notice a big difference in a 24" barrel.

The trade off for reliably cycling an AR is noise.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.