190 SUB-X Feeding Issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 190 SUB-X Feeding Issues

Post by dellet »

I would be looking at the feed ramps. Make sure they are a true 30 caliber ramp. Not uncommon to find 22 caliber ramps on a true M4 extension.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

Had no luck with the shorter seating depth. In fact it was noticeably worse. I couldn't even drop the bolt and get them to load and I gave up on testing anything shorter than factory seating depth. I brought some Berry's 200 grain test rounds as well as some Hornady 110gr. vmax and zero issues with either of those in the new Lancer mags.

I also tried out Lil' Gun and that completely failed to cycle the bolt and eject the spent cartridge. They were also going slightly super at the lower seating depth. I'll have to find a good use for the powder as I have a majority of a pound left.

I'll try seating the bullets more shallow in the hopes that works. I did find one charge that produced a sub-MOA grouping at 50 yards with an SD of 3.3. I had to single load the cartridges. If I go with a longer overall cartridge length, that means more case volume which CFE Black doesn't like. If I don't have any success I'll cut my losses, sell the 190 Sub-x rounds and go with Lehigh or Makers.

I've now had these fail in two different barrels, one a Rainier, one a Faxon, both match grade. Photos of the feed ramps. Faxon top then Rainier.

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The Rainier doesn’t look right, but I can’t say why, just different.

What about your upper. Do the feed ramps continue down into the upper?

I have seen a couple that the extension kind of over hangs the upper where the nose of the bullet can get under the ramp.

Here’s is one of the better explanations

Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

Here's a photo of the upper/barrel when the original Faxon was installed. Need to take a photo of the Rainier installed.
Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

Rainier barrel, so all that looks good. Will try seating bullets longer, to the bottom base of the cannelure as well as slightly before.
Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

I had a longer reply and I thought I'd hit the "submit" button but I guess not.

Long story short, pun intended, I've given up on these. I've tried loading dummy rounds in various lengths before the cannelure, at the cannelure base, and everything in between (even mag length) and they just won't feed.

The nose of the bullet has very sharp edges and the poly plug doesn't fully insulate them from hitting on the side of the feed ramps and I think they're catching/digging in which is causing the failure to feed.

Since I have no plans to build a short barrel single shot rifle, I'm just going to move them on.

I still haven't given up on the CFE black. I didn't fully use up the 1 pound bottle I have and still have an unopened 8 pound jug. Debating if I should just move on and stick to H110 for subs and supers, keep it simple. Thoughts?
Ryno785

Post by Ryno785 »

Ape Factory wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:35 pm I had a longer reply and I thought I'd hit the "submit" button but I guess not.

Long story short, pun intended, I've given up on these. I've tried loading dummy rounds in various lengths before the cannelure, at the cannelure base, and everything in between (even mag length) and they just won't feed.

The nose of the bullet has very sharp edges and the poly plug doesn't fully insulate them from hitting on the side of the feed ramps and I think they're catching/digging in which is causing the failure to feed.

Since I have no plans to build a short barrel single shot rifle, I'm just going to move them on.

I still haven't given up on the CFE black. I didn't fully use up the 1 pound bottle I have and still have an unopened 8 pound jug. Debating if I should just move on and stick to H110 for subs and supers, keep it simple. Thoughts?
If you decide to move on from the CFE BLK, I would be interested in buying the 8lb jug from you. I will also buy the rest of the Sub-X bullets.

I have been seating them at 2.05" and not having any issues.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Ape Factory wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:35 pm I had a longer reply and I thought I'd hit the "submit" button but I guess not.

Might be the angle, but those ramps in the upper look short. That would make them steep and narrow. Can you get a straight edge in there and see if the transition is on the same plane, or if it is actually a corner created there?

My opinion of CFE Blk is pretty well documented, in my opinion it’s probably the worst choice for a sub powder any one shooting suppressed could make. Your photo is only one of the reasons why, unless you have about 1000 rounds since the last cleaning.

It’s dirty, loud, tends to throw high ES numbers, puts more gas and smoke in your face than any powder I have ever used. In general, of all the qualities you would want in a subsonic, suppressed powder it only has one, it will cycle the most poorly set up rifle using all the worst parts and lighters bullets of any powder out there.

I ran an AR on Black powder just to prove it could be done, and it is cleaner then CFE BLK.

Best use for CFE is probably heavy supers. But thats just an opinion
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Ryno785 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:22 pm

If you decide to move on from the CFE BLK, I would be interested in buying the 8lb jug from you. I will also buy the rest of the Sub-X bullets.

just remember, you cant ship powder without a hazmat license, so it'd have to be FTF.

hate to hear about someone not being aware and getting discovered and paying a huge fine for it

the current max penalty is >$84,000 per day, per violation - and thats for a shipment that doesnt cause any injury, damage or at worst death.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ryno785

Post by Ryno785 »

plant.one wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Ryno785 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:22 pm

just remember, you cant ship powder without a hazmat license, so it'd have to be FTF.

hate to hear about someone not being aware and getting discovered and paying a huge fine for it

the current max penalty is >$84,000 per day, per violation - and thats for a shipment that doesnt cause any injury, damage or at worst death.
Appreciate the heads up. Guess I should preface that with, If you're in AZ....