Most accurate single stage press - and why?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Most accurate single stage press - and why?

Post by Flatliner »

All,

I am toying with the idea of adding a new single-stage reloading setup to the shop. All else being equal, what is considered the most accurate setup and why. I have never played in the world of bench rest so chasing that kind of stuff is new to me. I DO have the ability and a lab radar, just wondering for a press itself, what is considered the 'best'.
manac

Re: Most accurate single stage press - and why?

Post by manac »

I think all the full size top tier company’s presses are considered pretty good.
For BR your getting into case prep, high end dies, powder measures, bullets etc.

I run a RCBS Summit with a set Forster 308 dies for my hunting Savage.
RCBS 308 SB die set and a dillon 750 for an AR-10.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Harrell's precision is nice if you are looking for portability as well. The powder dropper is phenomenally accurate. That being said, you can load up just as good a case on a RCBS Rockchucker.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

While a good press is important. For consistent accuracy is going to come down to case prep, using same manufacturer and weighing each and trimming consistently. Bullet consistency, Consistent powder drop and consistent primer installation.

I am a cheap man, most of my reloading stuff is made by Lee. I can and do produce pretty consistent rounds from it. However, I also don't do bench shooting and long range shooting. I think that there are reloaders out there like rebel that could take my Lee equipment and produce some tack driving long range rounds, that could win competitions.

But other types of reloading tools are going to have a better reputation for good long range bench rest shooting.

There is no reason you can't take a hornady, or RCBS single stage and good high quality tools and make some great bench rest loadings.

Just one man's opinion.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Best will be somewhat feature and opinion driven. Redding ultra series and Forster Coax are always at the top, but any good solid O fame press can turn out quality work. What you load can play a difference. I have a 50 year old RCBS JR partner press that can compete with anything out there for repeatability, but the short handle and geometry leave a lot to be desired for leverage on tough cases and the primer collection 70% of the time is the floor or down the ram jamming the primer bar.

Good dies in a bad press work better than bad dies in a good press and I think is where money is better spent.

None of it works worth spit with bad lube.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

I'd add my vote to the consensus that most of the presses out there can build ammo of sufficient quality that the skill of the man wielding the rifle becomes the biggest hurdle. And I'd agree with dellet that dies usually matter more.

Extending that thought (about dies)... I think having the tools to measure, knowing what to measure, when to measure it, and knowing why you'd want to measure it - probably counts for more in building accurate ammo than any press.

That all said, when you've reached that point just this side of nirvana and your groups are the size of a gnat's whisker and you're looking to gain those last few infinitesimal thousandths... there's always the Prazi press https://www.turban-cnc.de/prazipress.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ultimately, you could spend whatever you want. The key is consistency in your loading practices.Without that, skill with a rifle is out the window. Also, when someone mentions BR shooting it conjures notions of uppity,rich old farts with to much $$$.I refer to BR shooting as a method, not a class of shooters. Sometimes those lines get blurred, but I believe the OP is referring to method. He can correct me if I am wrong.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

Thanks all, very busy week, didn't mean to vanish. I appreciate the input.
Shootingstar

Post by Shootingstar »

Idk but the one I made, 'the locomotive', has a Lyman 8 station turret, a 1.375" dia ram, weighs in at 60lbs and cost me less than $100.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

Here you go. I've heard this is the best and most accurate. But it costs $$$

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/02/10 ... -overview/

I myself is still using a pair of CH4D "H" style reloading presses; a Magnum (1 hole) and a 444 (4 Hole). Both are over 30 years old.

The Magnum is no longer made, but the 444 lives on.

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000