Hornady manual

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Super8mm

Hornady manual

Post by Super8mm »

I am looking for a new reloading manual for multiple calibers and I like the Hornady format.

The down side is their comment “200+ different calibers featuring a variety of loads using Hornady bullets.”

So how does that data compare to using bullets from other manufactures? Do you just go by weight and style? :?:

The new edition is the 10th and my old one from 2012 is the 9th edition.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Re: Hornady manual

Post by Regaj »

Load manuals from the bullet manufacturers - Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Berger, etc. - typically only list load information for their own projectiles. And so, yeah, those of us who do this much tend to end up with a whole lot of different manuals.

And, sure, you can compare same-weight bullets from other manufacturers and get an idea. You have to be careful and thoughtful with that, though, because bullets differ a great deal from one another and many of those differences can have a major influence on chamber pressure. It's commonplace today for many bullets to be constructed entirely of copper, for instance. Meaning for a given weight such a projectile is likely to be physically much longer than its lead-core brethren... and that affects seating depth... and that affects chamber pressure.

Load manuals are expensive, but considering how much work and research goes into creating them, they might just be one of the great bargains in our lives.

I like the Hornady 10th Edition enough that I bought it twice - the regular hardback book version, and also the ebook version so I can keep it on my iPad. You never know when you might need some load data!
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks Regaj

So it looks like the powder manufacture's are a good double check as most seem to list a variety of bullets with their powder?
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

Yes... except that the powder manufacturers will naturally present their data from the perspective of their own powders. If you're looking for a broad overview of different powders, by different manufacturers, you won't find it there.

Most of us start with a bullet. A particular projectile. We then want to know what works best, or what works well, with that bullet. Which is why, for many of us, the bullet manufacturer's manuals tend to be our first stop. But you really can't have too many load references. Last month I loaded some 115gr. Bergers in 300 Blackout. Well, Berger doesn't list any 300 Blackout loads in their manual. So I had to improvise... to extrapolate load information from other, similar, bullets. That's not hard to do if you have enough information at hand.

Another factor to be mindful of is that bullets tend to have much less variation, lot to lot, than do powders. So when you look at a chart of load data for a particular bullet, you're usually going to get a rather more refined sense of its capabilities than if you look at a generic bullet weight from the perspective of a powder.

Which is not at all to diminish the importance of load data from the powder manufacturers. Among other things, the powder manufacturers have historically done the most in-depth chamber pressure analysis in the industry - far more sophisticated than that done by the bullet manufacturers.

Really, you want to have both perspectives. You cannot have too much information.

Two other sources of more generic information you might consider are Modern Reloading, Second Edition, by Richard Lee and Lyman's 50th Edition Reloading Manual. (The Lee book unfortunately does not contain any 300 AAC Blackout data, as it was published before that round was birthed.). Handloader Magazine is also an excellent resource.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Hornady 9th, 1st edition, 300 Blackout section, is a perfect example of a loading manual trying to get a new reloader killed, and why multiple resources are needed. A perfect example of why reading the section that has how to information is more important than the data.

Here are the correction to that manual.
Page 380, 300 Whisper/AAC Blackout – Case schematic and case (max and trim) lengths are from an early, non-standardized version. Max Case length should be: 1.368” and Case Trim Length should be: 1.358”. Also, 110gr FMJ (#3017) & 110gr RN (#3015) C.O.L. should be 1.790”
Page 382, 300 Whisper/AAC Blackout – 150-155gr C.O.L.’s should read: GMX-1.962”, InterBond-2.210”, SST-2.210”, FMJ-BT-2.090”, Interlock RN-1.900”, InterLock SP & BTSP-2.106”, A-MAX-2.110”
Page 393, 7.5x54mm MAS – Under the 150-155 grain data, Win 760, the 2200 fps column should be 40.6gr and the 2300 fps column should be 42.8gr.
Page 386, 300 Whisper/Blackout – Under the 225 grain data, due to firearm variances, it is not recommended to load below the 1,000 fps data.
https://press.hornady.com/assets/pcthum ... 702177.pdf

When changing bullets in given data you need to know the difference in length and profile. How much bullet will be in the case, if the bullet is jamming into the rifling. As an example if you look at the 150 FMJ data in the 9th edition first printing, the case trim length will crimp the bullet in the chamber, and the bullet will be jammed into the rifling at the published length. Note every 150 grain bullet has a corrected length in the Errata.

If you go to JBM Ballistics where you can find lists of bullet lengths you find more than a dozen 150-155 grain Hornady bullets ranging from .905”-1.327”. Across all manufacturers there are probably 100 bullets in that caliber the weight class of 147-155.

To keep yourself safe, even from published data, you need to know bullet seated depth and what length the bullet contact the lands.

Seated depth is easy to compare.

Bullet length + case length - COL= Seated depth. How much bullet in the case.

Take the seated depth of the bullet you have data for

Bullet length + case length - seated depth = COL, of the new bullet you want to use.

If you make up a dummy round, no primer or powder, to COL you want to use and insert it into the chamber with finger pressure, it should drop out. If it sticks, that length is to long and you need to adjust.

Tools like the Hornady comparator, make that easier, but are not completely needed.

If you search the forum you find interesting issues in the early years. Things like high pressure spikes using published data, noveske making “match chambers” that were cut short enough that factory ammo blew primers out.

It up to you to keep yourself safe, a good handle on ammo manufacturing will help a lot.

I need to add that I really like the Hornady manuals, and they are not the only ones to make this type of mistake. Just pointing out the only person who can keep you safe, is you.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks guys, I guess my Hornady manual is the first printing as it has the wrong data. My Lyman 49th manual does not even have the 300BO.

In these times is sort of becomes a juggling act trying to match up bullets with powder because of a lot of things are not available.

Guess I need to update my library.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I have a bookshelf full of Load Manuals dating back 40 years. I like to reference the Powder Manufacturer Load data along with the Bullet Manufacturer Load data. I then develop a plan for a load ladder. Plenty of research before ever getting to the load bench. The Lyman load manual is a good resource as well as it has a variety of different powder/bullet combos listed. I also have some older powders I am trying to use up, so for me the older manuals are invaluable as the newer versions have dropped some of the older powders. Hornady and Lyman are also available electronically for my Kindle. Bottom line is there is no such thing as too much reference material nor research.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks 20X11, trying to cross reference is what got me to digging into this.

I have some IMR 8208 that I can use for .223/5.56 and .308 so I wondered it if was good for 300BO. They recommend 4227, but when I look it up it is listed as a magnum pistol powder so that got me to looking for other available powders.

That is about like looking for a needle in a haystack "LOL"
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

For 300blk supers in the 110-135gr, I use 300MP or H110. I've used LilGun in the past, but have abandoned that powder.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

For 147-155gr 300blk super, I have used 4227, 1680, 5744, SW Socom with success