Powders for lightweight subs in bolt action

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dpete
Silent But Deadly

Powders for lightweight subs in bolt action

Post by dpete »

I'm about to get a RARR in 300 BLK and have been doing quite a bit of reading in the posts about lightweight sub rounds specifically for bolt actions. The powders that are mentioned regularily are Trailboss, Unique, and Bullseye. I have on hand 110 gr Varmageddons and 150 gr Hornady FMJs to use for loading these subs. I have a suppressor that will move between this rifle and my BLK AR and maximum quiet with accuracy is the goal for the bolt gun. What other powders should I be looking for as I search for one to use? I am not against using one powder for the 150s and another for the 110s and possibly lighter. What powders are you using with what weights of bullets and why?
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powders for lightweight subs in bolt action

Post by BJK »

Fast burning powder. The less blast the can needs to deal with the better off you are if you want quiet. Boyles Law* rules on pressure out the barrel so the faster the powder burns the less pressure out the muzzle.

*double the volume and halve the pressure.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

I just scored six 9oz bottles of Trailboss today at a local gun shop. I'm thinking about Unique for the 150 gr FMJs that I have.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the TB will send those 150's nicely too.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.