Case trimming question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

plain ol Bill

Case trimming question

Post by plain ol Bill »

I am using a Lyman universial trimmer w/ a battery powered drill on some converted brass. Can't say I am enthralled by it's performance. It is not cutting consistent and varies by 2-3 thou. What sort of tolerances are you guys holding and what are you using?
plain ol Bill
old, fat, ugly and armed
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Case trimming question

Post by rlandry6 »

I'm using a Wilson manual micrometer adj trimmer. it holds to .001" and usually lower than that.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
NiceOak

Post by NiceOak »

I have an old school RCBS manual case trimmer with the screw-style collet. I see about the same results in length variation: +/- 0.003" or so. If I'm trimming a larger batch, I can develop a "feel" for tightening the collet, which reduces variation a bit. Depending on what you are loading, your application, and as long as your variance doesn't put your trim length longer than the specified max for your chamber, the variance you're seeing should be fine.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I use the Lyman as well, have had a couple of them now for years. I can live with .002 difference for my purposes and I seem to get at least that or less trim. I did take some time to figure out how to keep it pretty uniform. I also use them for my precision rifle brass and have used more precise types like the Wilson. I'm too impatient and prefer the speed of the drill/Lyman setups. What I really need is a much faster and precise annealing unit. At least 3 calibers of rifle brass which need annealing after each firing...at least that was the goal :oops:
TR