Speer .223 to 300

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

plain ol Bill

Speer .223 to 300

Post by plain ol Bill »

I have quite a few Speer .223 nickel cases I am converting over to 300 BO. I a using RCBS short case dies and checking using a Sheridan cut away case gage. It appears to me the Speer brass has case stamps higher than any I have seen on other brass and when checking head space using a razor blade straight edge I can feel the lettering of the stamping just kissing the straight edge. Visually I can see and feel the edge of the case clears the gage. Anyone else seeing things like this? Opinions please.
plain ol Bill
old, fat, ugly and armed
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer .223 to 300

Post by plant.one »

are you passing the brass into the die just once? or are you taking a 2nd stroke?

where in the case gauge are you making contact? ie: the shoulder? somewhere in the body? the neck?

have you tried a plunk test in your chamber? lots of us here have chambers that will take brass/ammo that wont quite fit the sherinan gauge and chamber just fine. both of my barrels are like this.

I mean.. you cant be way out of spec, but because of how the Sheridan is cut to minimum tolerances, you can still be in-spec (under maximum dimension tolerance) and still fail the gauge.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
plain ol Bill

Re: Speer .223 to 300

Post by plain ol Bill »

I think my problem went away. I started de-burring after trimming this morning. At this point all my cases go thru the gage instead of an occasional check. I found a few that needed a little more burr removed and two that had to be bumped again in the sizing die. I am a happy camper this morning.
plain ol Bill
old, fat, ugly and armed