Peened Cases

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

RLovesMCX

Peened Cases

Post by RLovesMCX »

Hey folks!

Been a very longtime lurker. Finally made an account last month and have a question to ask! (I also am working on a neat post to share, but the project isn’t done yet)

I have been “gifted” 2250 cases of Processed LC 300 blk brass. It’s all really nice and uniform and in great, clean shape minus fairly notable peening of the cases from wet tumbling (hence the free gift). I can trim the cases to 1.3450” and remove the peen, but that’s below SAAMI spec for the round. Outside of the obvious of buying a case neck reamer, are there any options that I can pursue to save this brass? It would save me a lot of time and money!

More details: The burr on some is fairly large, like I can definitely catch it with my fingernail. They will chamber, but will not sit perfectly flush in the case gauge unless the burr is removed.

EDIT to correct Trim Length
Last edited by RLovesMCX on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Peened Cases

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Not sure if the 1.45 was a typo. But SAAMI Spec is 1.368 - .020. If you trim down to that range do you still have the issue?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

RLovesMCX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 am Hey folks!

Been a very longtime lurker. Finally made an account last month and have a question to ask! (I also am working on a neat post to share, but the project isn’t done yet)

I have been “gifted” 2250 cases of Processed LC 300 blk brass. It’s all really nice and uniform and in great, clean shape minus fairly notable peening of the cases from wet tumbling (hence the free gift). I can trim the cases to 1.450” and remove the peen, but that’s below SAAMI spec for the round. Outside of the obvious of buying a case neck reamer, are there any options that I can pursue to save this brass? It would save me a lot of time and money!

More details: The burr on some is fairly large, like I can definitely catch it with my fingernail. They will chamber, but will not sit perfectly flush in the case gauge unless the burr is removed.
Not sure if 1.450" is a typo or not but, 1.368-1.348" is trim length specs.

Almost sounds like the neck were not de-burred and chamfered after trimming and they expected the tumbling process to remove the rough edge.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
RLovesMCX

Post by RLovesMCX »

Hahah, yes, 1.450 was a typo. They are 1.3450 when trimmed to remove the burr. The fella who gave them to me didn’t seem to be so careful at reloading and was getting out of the game.