Subsonic trail boss powder recipe

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

HunterLen

Subsonic trail boss powder recipe

Post by HunterLen »

First, let me go ahead and get this out of the way. Im new to the reloading world, so forgive me if I say something that leaves you scratching your head. Im looking for a recipe to load 194 grain Lehigh Defense, using trail boss powder, in a 300 blk Ruger American Bolt action rifle 16" barrel 1:7 RH twist. Thanks in advance for any information.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic trail boss powder recipe

Post by dellet »

Basically the reason you won't find data is that it is a very poor combination of powder and bullet.

The bullet is too long, and powder so fluffy that you can't get enough in the case for decent velocity. You might be able to seat the bullet very long and shoot single shot. There are plenty of other powders. Tin Star works like Trail Boss with half the bulk.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
HunterLen

Post by HunterLen »

Thanks for the input. Do you have a recipe for the Tin Star, I have some of that powder as well
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dellet wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm Basically the reason you won't find data is that it is a very poor combination of powder and bullet.

The bullet is too long, and powder so fluffy that you can't get enough in the case for decent velocity. You might be able to seat the bullet very long and shoot single shot. There are plenty of other powders. Tin Star works like Trail Boss with half the bulk.
What he said, plus I have tried trail boss with some long bullets and the next morning the bullets were almost pushed out if thr case. Now for lighter bullets, trail boss is outstanding.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I use 6.2 grains @ 2.220”, that ends up right at 1000 fps in a 12” barrel and the case is full under the bullet.

You may want to start around 6 grains and check for compression of the powder. Take a fired case that the bullet can slip in and out of easily. Drop the powder charge in then insert the bullet and measure the length. Check where the neck lines up with bullet. The Lehigh has a reasonably long place on the bullet where you can crimp the bullet if you choose.

The other concern is you really don’t want to compress the powder. The problem is many subsonic bullets can be damaged compressing powder and may end up causing a baffle strike.

It’s normal to start high with a powder charge with subs. You don’t want to stick a bullet. Powders like Tin Star and trail boss can have high pressures, so it’s nack to starting on the low side. I would not go much over 6.5 grains with Tin Star.

Hope that helps.
HunterLen

Post by HunterLen »

Dellet,
I can’t thank you enough. Great info!
HunterLen

Post by HunterLen »

Got another real dumb question. I loade several bullets with 194 gr. Lehigh Defense VV N32C yesterday 6.2 gr of powder, seated them to 2.220 perfectly. Loading up the same load today and the 6.2gr. Powder Won’t let me get close to seating the bullet to 2.220. So I pulled a bullet in one of the ones I loaded yesterday thinking I didn’t measure correctly re-weighed the powder in the bullet loaded yesterday, it was 6.2gr. So I put that same powder back in a cartridge and can’t even get the bullet close to seating. What am I not seeing, did the powder swell up? Scratching my head, thinking about packing all my reloading stuff up and putting it on GunBroker. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

make sure its settled in the case. anything but spherical powder can stack/bridge/etc and leave air gaps.

sometimes a gentle tap on the side of the case wall, etc... can settle that powder down and remove the trapped air.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I use a short drop tube and a slow pour of the powder into the case. This helps the powder settle. You would be surprised at the capacity difference that happens just based on pour rate.

Tapping the case as plant suggested will help also.

The other thing that helps if the bulletin is getting into the powder is to slow down seating speed. Grab a bucket of sand and slowly push your finger into the sand. Then pull your hand back 6” and ram your finger into the sand as fast and hard as you can, let us know how it works out :shock: