Annealing neck tension

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Roachclass

Annealing neck tension

Post by Roachclass »

Does annealing help maintain neck tension? I'm coming up on the 4th round of reloading 556 cut downs without annealing, and it seems like the bullet slides in real easy like that ol girl at the bar. Does it really make a difference?
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Annealing neck tension

Post by BJK »

As the brass gets worked it hardens. I've always considered annealing, done right, to reset the hardness of the brass and return them all to the same state. Will that make a difference? I sure think so since hardness affects the pull of the bullet.

How to anneal? I've read on so many forums that the brass should be red hot. That's not annealing, I don't know what to call it, but it's not annealing. I put deprimed brass in a tray of water to protect the case head, you don't want to soften that part. Then I play a torch on the shoulder and look for the brass to change color to "straw". Then I either let it remain standing or tip it over into the water bath. Allowing it to cool without a quench keeps it as soft as it's going to get. Quenching hardens it somewhat. However it's done, they all need to be done the same.
texascavediver

Post by texascavediver »

Annealing helps maintain neck tension and extends the life of your brass. If your having problems with the neck tension loosening, then your sizing die probably isn't resizing the neck down enough and/or you're getting extreme spring back after sizing due to the brass getting harder.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

As neck tension is THE LARGEST contributor to an accurate load.... About anything one can do to promote continuity of the neck will result in an improvement.

So...

Annealing

Turning necks

SAME mfg

SAME no shots

UNIFORMLY TRIMMED cases

ALL are top performers in producing accurate loads.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS