Looking for a better powder measure

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

cmax95

Re: Looking for a better powder measure

Post by cmax95 »

I have had good results with the Lee Perfect Powder measure. During load development I will always throw a light charge and then trickle to the correct charge for testing. Once I have found a good charge using the OCW testing methodology, I'll set up the powder measure to throw the exact charge I want. I throw about 20 charges and put them back in the hopper just to confirm that the measure is throwing the correct charge +/- 0.2 grains usually. Once I am satisfied I usually just go ahead and charge the cases directly from the powder measure and confirm every 10 or 15 cases just to make sure nothing shifted.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

.... I use the Lee Auto-Drum and have been extremely pleased with it for both pistol & rifle calibers. Once the specific drum/powder combination has been drilled in, it's a "set & forget" operation for me (I do check before doing a run).

...I run it on my Lee Loadmaster in progressive mode and the variation in throws is minimal and certainly acceptable for me. I purchased extra drum kits so I can dedicate drums to particular loads and powders, makes a caliber swap quick, especially considering the very low cost of the drum kits.

...powders used have been H110, W296, 8208XBR, AR-Comp, W748, IMR 4227, Power Pistol, W231, AA5744, True Blue, TiteGroup, 800-X and Accurate #5.

...before use I always wipe down the internal surfaces of the powder hopper and the drums with a laundry anti-static sheet to mitigate kernel sticking.

YMMV :mrgreen:
sparks1775

Post by sparks1775 »

I use this for all ball powders and some extruded. Though I admit it was bought WAAAAY before this price came about.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/produ ... er-measure
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

RCBS Competition Powder Measure Pistol/Small Rifle model is tailor made for the 300 Blackout. It measures .5 to 40 grains.....

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder ... e/205.html

You can get it for under $150.00 in a number of places, I bought mine off Gunbroker about 4 weeks ago. It's replacing my 40 year old RCBS Uniflow I have with 2 metering drums (one pistol and one rifle) that's earned it's retirement.

So far I've used the new one to dispense Lil' Gun, H322, and CFE223 (300 BLK, 30-30, 6.5 Grendel). Very accurate and consistent metering with all I tried so far.