X-treme cases.....

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rb288
Senior Silent Operator

X-treme cases.....

Post by rb288 »

Does anyone know, or have any experience with 300blk cases with "x-treme" headstamp?
I had some and was checking them and found that the cases weighed in at 107 to 109 grains.
My Barnes and Hornady cases weigh in at 84 to 86 grains.
Also, I tried seating some Barnes110gr Tac-Tx bullets over 18.8 grains of H110, and while the Barnes and Hornady consistently seated at 1.414 ogive, which is what I wanted, the 'x-treme" bullets, consistently, only seated to 1.445, without any changes to the seating die.
That seems like quite a difference.
Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Re: X-treme cases.....

Post by Regaj »

Yes. I tested ten different factory loads over in the General Ammunition section ("300 Blackout - A Tale of Ten Loads") and found, like you, that the X-TREME headstamp (used by Freedom Munitions) brass was a significant outlier from all the others. The cases are notably heavier and have significantly less capacity than every other headstamp I've looked at (to now include Norma brass). That translates into higher pressures, earlier.

I, personally, won't be using the X-TREME brass, or buying any more Freedom Munitions' factory ammo.

The good news is that all those other headstamps fall into a reasonably narrow range.