Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Regaj
Silent Operator

Re: What should I load based on this data?

Post by Regaj »

I'm not a fan of Windows, either. I'm an old Unix geek, and run Mac OS X as my preferred operating system. I run QL in a virtual machine, running Windows 7. Works fine.

BTW, jtaylor996... I don't suppose the 996 in your name is because of Ducati (as in Ducati 996)?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Regaj wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:10 am
As dellet mentioned, you can tweak Quickload. Once you've got it dialed in, you can sit in the comfort of your living room, while your wife watches some sappy romance on the Hallmark Channel, and run virtual loads long before you ever head out to the loading bench and actually begin weighing charges and pulling the press handle.
I think I might have been mis-quoted :shock:

“C” grade sci-fi movies for my wife, Svengoolie, Elvira quality. Sometimes a good romance that generally involves John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara :lol:

I don’t want to sound like an advocate for high pressure or loading over published data, but when asked why the cartridge was held to 55,000 psi when current NATO rounds exceed 60 and the cartridge was proofed at 73,000, Robert Silvers reply was, basically to limit cycling speed. When the gas port is large enough to cycle subs unsuppressed, supers suppressed often cycle so fast they jam. The parameters of the project required both in military trials, an adjustable gas block was not to be part of the specs.

I don’t try for loads in the low to mid 60’s, without a specific reason, but I don’t get too excited if a really accurate load is in that range. I don’t mind short brass life, but I prefer a long one with as many working parts as possible.

Shoot safe.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

Last edited by jtaylor996 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

I think I might have been mis-quoted :shock:

“C” grade sci-fi movies for my wife, Svengoolie, Elvira quality. Sometimes a good romance that generally involves John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara :lol:
If you have a gal who likes John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara... you have a keeper!

Aye, I likewise don't get too worked up over hot loads, beyond having an idea of where I am. Mostly because I find accuracy to be far more interesting. And most my guns, most of the time, make their best groups a bit back from the edge.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

jtaylor996 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:44 pm
Regaj wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 pm I'm not a fan of Windows, either. I'm an old Unix geek, and run Mac OS X as my preferred operating system. I run QL in a virtual machine, running Windows 7. Works fine.

BTW, jtaylor996... I don't suppose the 996 in your name is because of Ducati (as in Ducati 996)?
I've been working in linux exclusively for 20 years now. The only other thing I have around on my personal stuff is MacOS, which ain't great.

I used to have a porsche 996 track car, but now I have kids instead :(
When I pulled up to the house in my pickup truck a few years back, after a weekend down at VIR - a weekend in which I enjoyed the second of my three high speed racetrack crashes - my wife came to the door, glanced at the totaled bike in the bed of the truck, looked back at me and, once it was obvious I was more or less in one piece, commented "you need to find a cheaper hobby." I hear ya on the kids.

And congrats on being able to avoid everything but Linux all those years. That's a hard thing to manage! I ran a bunch of Unix flavors over the years. And still run a few distros inside VM's, just for fun.