First time reloader

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Srt4ever

First time reloader

Post by Srt4ever »

Hello everyone,

I am getting into the world of reloading for the first time, I have a bunch of stuff coming next week and I am very excited. I have a CMMG 300blkout with a JP enterprise SCS 3 steel weights with a Trash Panda suppressor. I have some slight issues with factory Subsonic ammo not locking the bolt back at times, i have adjusted my gas block and it is just hit or miss if it locks back. Was hoping i might be able to solve that problem perhaps by hand loading my own rounds.

What powder would work great for Subsonic rounds ?

What primers do you recommend ?

Any info you guys can share with habdloading Subsonic rounds would be greatly appreciated.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: First time reloader

Post by BJK »

Welcome to the forum!

Well, you're in the right area of the forum. Your post is the first one below the stickies. Directly above your post is a thread "Load catalog Index" and a bit more for a subject title. Look in there to see what others are using. You might find other stickies that can also help.
Srt4ever

Post by Srt4ever »

I saw that after my post, in my hast to get some answers lol.

I guess just getting primers and powder is the problem now, I want to use 1680 but someone told me to stay away since it is really dirty for suppressed 300.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I can't help you further since I have lots of load development to do before I know more. I'm far from new to reloading but I'm new to the 300BLK. I have an assortment of powders to try, WW296, VV n-120, 1680, and Lil' Gun. I'll know more in time. I plan on shooting with a can all the time so I want something clean burning too. I'll be loading both super and subsonic. We'll both get there in time.

Powder can be found if you search diligently. I found 1#ers to be harder (impossible?) to find than 8# kegs. But I don't mind putting powder on the shelf. Stored properly it'll last longer than I'll live. Primers weren't even on my radar. I checked the 'net every few days until I found what I wanted. Sites where I asked them to inform me still haven't. Grab the bull by the horns and make it happen. That worked for me.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I've never found 1680 any dirtier or cleaner than anything else. It's a gun.....

I've used many many pounds of it in 762x39, 7mmTCU, and 300blk, 300whisper.

I've started using Shooters World blackout for 300blk, simply because it seems more consistent.
Srt4ever

Post by Srt4ever »

I plan to shoot suppressed at all times as well, I’ll have to play around and come up with some development and see what works best for me. Just seems everywhere I search it just comes down to the powder for Subsonic. Clean burning vs dirty vs consistency.
exexex

Post by exexex »

I've not done much with 300BLK, but I have found 1680 to work subsonic when H110 would not at same velocities. I'm not using suppressor though.

From a little experience and lots of reading, I've drawn conclusions. Getting subsonic 300BLK has a narrow range of tolerances in AR's balancing velocity, powder burn rate, return spring and buffer weight, gas tube placement, gas tube opening. These are all in addition to figuring out what kinds of bullets and loads your gun likes.

I'm sticking with supersonic for the time being: I like being able to get a 30 cal bullet out of an AR without going AR10. If I get bored, I might start experimenting again.

Enjoy the tinkering.