Experience with 240 grain bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Experience with 240 grain bullets

Post by alamo5000 »

Quite a while back I did my first foray into hitek coated cast bullets using 217 grain bullets from Gallant Bullets.

It took me quite a few rounds to get past a few initial bugs but after I got the hang of it the rest shot fine. I put about 1000 rounds down range and about 800 of those with zero problems such as lead rings or whatever. I also got over my fear of shooting cast bullets through my suppressor. On a side note I learned cool (new to me) ways to clean a sealed suppressor so I got my can almost carbon free. It was within 1/4 oz of factory spec last time I checked. I could have gotten it cleaner but I called it good. That was after shooting 1000 cast bullets and several thousand other bullets.

Anyway sorry for the side track, but now I am thinking about trying some 240 grain bullets (assuming I can find some in stock). I am open to trying some other weights as well if I can find them. Most of the manufacturers have 10 to 12 week lead times which is insane. With that said before I spend money on something that will hopefully show up two or three months from now I am wondering if others can share their experience with those bullets?

I figured out how to get subsonic performance with the 217 grain (and have full functionality) but it was much more challenging at the time because it was my first time using cast bullets. I am only guessing that 240 grain projectiles will be slightly more forgiving.

Any and all experiences are welcome.

PS My 300BLK is a 9" suppressed SBR with a 1/7 twist (if it matters).
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Experience with 240 grain bullets

Post by BJK »

So how did you clean a sealed can?
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

BJK wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 pm So how did you clean a sealed can?
There are several options. Big thread over at sniper's hide on the subject. Over 400 posts long so far. Lots of pictures showing before and after results. Some are very impressive.

I temporarily plugged the end of mine and filled them with Bore Tech C4 and let them soak for several days. If you don't want to plug the muzzle end with silly putty or whatever just get a container big enough to hold your suppressors and soak them. After a few days pour it out and a repeat depending on how bad it is. Rinse with warm water after you are done. C4 does not harm the finish in any way.

Other guys are using ultra sonic cleaners, CLR, and several other methods. You have to read that thread to see all the various stuff people tried.

Thread here:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... st-8235697

Bore Tech C4 here:

https://www.boretech.com/products/c4-carbon-remover
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks!